VMware Cloud Community
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor

Freeing up space in the datastore?

Hi folks,

Just wondering if you can help me out with a problem i am having with a new esxi server i have just put into a production environment. Bit of a crash course!!

I have a server running esxi from an internal usb pen drive. I have used the 146gb disks to run 2 VMs. One i converted and one i built from scratch. The problem is they are filling up the drive and ESX is complaining and the two servers obviously to responding. As a temporary measure i have shut down one of the servers and delete a snapshot on the disk to free up a bit of space. I am about to order another 2 146gb disks to put in the server and run them as a raid 1 array.

Whilst i am waiting for the drives to turn up what is the best way of me freeing up some space in the datastore so that the existing server stays running. (apart from the datastore problems the servers were performing fine).

I was thinking of copying the files from the datastore in the browse onto another windows server on the network. Do i just need to copy all the files in the VM folder and then delete the files/server from the VI client once i have got them off. I take it i just use the VM Convertor to get it back onto the server. Ive done loads of work configuring the server and i dont want to loose it.

Once i get the other disks in i can put the VM back on. This is just a temp measure until we can get some decent shared storage!!!

Anyone any tips

ps anyone have any issues with booting a dell 1950 from internal usb pen drive? When i reboot the server it forgets it's boot sequence!!! Think i need to install the next one onto the hard drive as it would save me a lot of grief.

Bit of a crash course in esxi!!!

thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Use Vmware converter to export the VM to an OVF on another system. Once this is complete you delete the VM files in place on you datastore.

0 Kudos
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor

Just started converting it to a ovf file. Thaks for the tip

What is a manifest file? I didnt select it. I take it will work fine without it?

Much appreciated

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

OVFs is the standard for packaging Virtual appliances, so I assume the manifest file would be used to include data for a Virt App you intended to distribute. I have never used it and have not had any problems restoring VMs from OVF archives

0 Kudos
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor

Ever had any problems with corrupt files? Is there a way to verify the ovf once it's finished? Think it should be ok but better to be safe.

Might leave deleting the file from the datastore until tomorrow morning when back in the office.

Conversion finished. Got it down to a 5 gb file. Luckily there in't much on the server. Think i have made a mistake in allocating all of the disk space and it has eaten up all the capacity.

Do you think it is worth trying to reimport and i, getting it to allocate the space as needed. Going to wait until the morning (with some luck the other server should stay up overnight!)

Thanks for the advice lightbulb

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

It would be wise to test before deleting. You could try installing Server on a workstation and use converter to create it. Unless you need all the disk space you could try shrinking it using converter. Add additional disk space as you need it.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Never had a problem myself. You could try bringing up the OVF in Vmware player.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

lightbulb

Never say never. You must now find some wood to knock on. Smiley Wink

I have had a problem on more than one occasion. When you have important stuff test to make sure.

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

All the VMs I watch out for are backed up via Netbackup (No VCB, Netbackup client on each VM, don't ask it is not my decision). So if something goes wrong I have an alternate restore path.

I was going to suggest that this fellow SCP the vmx and vmdk files off as a just in case, but did not want him to think I was a nag

0 Kudos
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tips guys.

I will zip it up and download it to our office tomorrow and boot it up in player.

If all goes well i will then delete it from the datastore until i get the extra disks in server.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

lightbulb

So you're not a nag but did you find some wood to knock on. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

foxy1997

Back to disk space.It would still be worthwhile shrinking disk space. Allocate what you really need. It will cut down on time taken to move, backup etc.

0 Kudos
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor

Can i set the server up so the disk stays the same size in VM (70gb) but only allocates what is used?

The server has hardly anything on it at the moment and when converted it only takes up 5.5gb. Not too sure if i have set it up wrong in the first instance!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

It isn't possible with a local datastore. It is possible with NFS.

I was just suggesting that you not just allocate space simply because you have it available. If you truly need 70 GB then do assign that space. If it is something you might need two years from now then think about making the disk closer to what you think might need for the next. . . . whatever and grow your storage as needed.

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I though you could thin provision local VMFS storage

vmkfstools -d thin -a lsilogic -c 70G /vmfs/volumes/whereever/whatever.vmdk

There are reasons not to do it i.e. your I/O speeds may take a hit as space is provisioned as needed.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

OK it is possible. It isn't a supported procedure which is what I should have said.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Thin disks are mentioned as a supported disk type in the RCLI guide, but as you say not necessarily recommended.

0 Kudos
kraigAllan
Contributor
Contributor

Someone mentioned that thin provision wasn't supported.

It is supported but it's just not an option in the UI.

We thin provision disks all the time and don't have issues.

Unless your storage array is under heavy load, the growth of a thin provisioned drive won't even be noticable.

0 Kudos