VMware Cloud Community
AthenaL
Contributor
Contributor

Adaptec 29320a Host RAID

Hi everyone

I noticed that the adaptec 29320a host raid controller is listed on the HCL but I cannot get it to work in my ESXi box. Anbody got any thoughts or guidance?

It uses the aic79xx driver, my ESXi box cannot see the disks attached to the controller.

Many thanks

Athena

0 Kudos
8 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Can you verify that the module is actually loading? Is this a SCSI or SATA/SAS controller?

0 Kudos
AthenaL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nick

Thanks for your response. Its a SCSI RAID adapter with three 72GB 15K drives attached and configured as RAID0.

Sorry, i'm quite new to ESXi, how do i verify that the module is loading?

Regards

Athena

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Use the AltF* key combinations to go to various consoles. AltF12 seems to have a good deal of debug output, but also try AltF1, AltF2, and Alt+F3.

0 Kudos
AthenaL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nick

Thanks for your help so far. I have searched for the aic79xx module but i cannot find it.

Any ideas or do you thinkI should ditch this adapter?

Regards

Athena

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you follow the first 3 steps here you can gain console access to your host - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_SSH.php. Once you have access, you can run lspci to get the PCI ids for the device. If you run lspci -p it will should the module that is loaded for each device.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

I'm not sure whether the Adaptec U320 with Raid enabled will work - I remember the older didn't.

Just a thought.

0 Kudos
AthenaL
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded. I have the horrid feeling that christianZ is correct Smiley Sad

I ran lspci and there is no mention of the adaptec controller. I dont suppose its possible to install linux modules in ESXi, is it?

Thanks & Regards

Athena

PS: Thanks Dave.Mishchenko, i didn't realise ESXi could use sshd - I just ran lspci from "F1, unsupported" but sshd will be far easier Smiley Happy

[

|~Dave.Mishchenko]

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

My suggestion would be to turn off the raid function (if you have one) in your scsi controller (in controller bios) - but of course you will loose your raid 1 ability

0 Kudos