VMware Cloud Community
Bryce_Stenberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

AMD Phenom II x6 processor?

Hi,

Just in process of ordering a new desktop machine.

Since in a year or two we will probably be moving our servers to ESXi I thought I would try installing it to my new desktop machine and run my 'pc' in a virtual machine so I can get familiar with the product. I'll also be running up a couple of virtual servers to try out stuff on this machine.

The pc I thought I'd like uses an 'AMD Phenom II X6 1090T' processor (nice price versus performance with 6 cores) but I can't find if this will work with ESX.

Does anyone know?

Or is it a bad idea to use ESX on ones desktop?

Thanks, Bryce.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks Anton - that is correct!

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It will work. The main problem to run ESX/ESXi on desktop is to find supported NIC and RAID.

---

MCSA, MCTS Hyper-V, VCP 3/4, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
AdvancedMachine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have buit whiteboxes in the past with the phenum II x4 that are working great. Basically you need a supported network adapter (like intel e1000) and supported raid/ide/sata/sas adapter (or motherboard.)

I currently am building a esxi whitebox using the (Thuban) x6 Phenum II

processor (1090T)

I'm currently experiencing an issue installing ESXi on my 1090T (has a Biostar TA880G Board)

But im tracking it down to a cpu scheduling / BIOS issue.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is not a bad idea but you will need another machine to manage your installation of ESXi as well to be able to access your Virtual Machine that you want to use as a desktop - you can access a VM o/s directly from the console of the ESXi server -

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can access a VM o/s directly from the console of the ESXi server

You can NOT, of course. Just correcting a typo.

---

VMUG Russia Leader
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks Anton - that is correct!

0 Kudos
Bryce_Stenberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all your replies.

Looks like my plans are halted straight away since I can't also access my virtual machine from the ESX console.

I may have to bring up the virtual machines using vmware workstation or server within windows 7 on my new pc. Playing with ESX will have to wait for now.

Regards,

Bryce.

0 Kudos
ajf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just reading this thread as I am looking to do exactly the same thing.

In terms of LAN and RAID, are most onboard solutions supported or this again a problem area?

I am not sure what RAID chips are used with AMD but the network cards seem to be Realtek models.

On Intel systems, are the standard inbuilt RAID solutions supported?

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
LukeWarmwater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Im also leaning towards this processor for my own whitebox. Is there any disadvantage in using an AMD desktop proc rather then AMD server one?

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Luke, desktop processors are usually equipped with smaller cache, so there would be lower performance under heavy load.

---

VMUG Russia Leader
0 Kudos
LukeWarmwater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Is ist just the cache that different? or are there some vituaisation features missing in the desktop proc?

0 Kudos
ericgc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did anyone end up using this processor for Workstation stuff? i am trying to get my Workstation test environment setup and have loaded ESX 4.1 but when I try to create a VM under the 4.1 server it tells me that my processor isnt 64bit capable which makes no sense as I have loaded 2 64bit OS's on it.

0 Kudos
LukeWarmwater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using this processor on a whitebox using ESXi 4.1 sucessfully. Are you trying to install ESXi as a guest on vmware workstation? Your post is not clear.

0 Kudos
ericgc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I have installed ESX 4.1 on a guest in workstation successfully. The problem is when I try to create a VM inside that 4.1 installation I get the attached error message.

0 Kudos
ericgc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been doing some reading and it looks like installing 64bit OS as a "nested" VM is not supported through a workstation/esx installation. Is this true? anyway around this? So obviously I wouldn't be able to run a small lab inside of workstation then since i can't install vCenter as it needs a 64bit OS?

0 Kudos
Julio_Ortiz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am planning on purchasing this CPU + Gigabyte mobo + 16Gb RAM for my personal lab.

I plan on getting a server NIC (e1000, etc). 1 x SSD drive for Sphere 4.1, 1 x 1TB drive for VMs, 1 x 1TB drive for file sharing/storage

Is there any configuration I must use (RAID) in order to get this install up and running? I really don't want to have a RAID unless nescessary at all.

Since I will have another drive with W7 for HTPC/Gaming... it will have an Nvidia GTX470 video card... will this card be an issue? (usually you don't install drivers)

0 Kudos