VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vmimages

I want to make this partition (file system) bigger.

I see /vmimages, and its a mount point for ISO images, but I ran into a problem where I tried to copy a large ISO image (for installing a new OS) and vmimages was not big enough to accomodate the file.

So in the future when I get more ESX hosts, I want to make vmimages somewhat larger.

My question is, where is vmimages mounted? So that when I setup the partition, it will have more room and thus a large partition to put more data in vmimages.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Todd_Wilkerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I renamed the original /vmimages and instead made /vmimages a symbolic link to a shared VMFS volume that contains the iso images.

For one reason, I don't want those with remote console access to be able to install the vmtools anyway. Another reason is with shared storage, you only need to copy one .iso to each storage group instead of storing it locally on each ESX host.

So I did something like:

mv /vmimages /vmimages.oem

ln -s /vmfs/volumes/xxxxxx/iso /vmimages

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

/vmimages has a different purpose in VI3.

It is a local directory of the / fs and should only be used for the vmware-tools isos and flp images

The thought is that you will now create a shared LUN (vmfs) on the SAN for isos and templates.

If you want to keep your OS isos local - I suggest you create a new fs and mount point during the install.

If you want to - you can just create /vmimages as a separate fs and mount point during install.

esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would suggest one of three options for storing ISO's.

1) Just create a ISO directory on one of your VMFS volumes and store them there.

2) Create a samba mount to a Windows Server and store them there.

3) Create a NFS VMFS volume using a Windows Server and store them there.

How do I create a ISO mount point that points to a Windows Server for storing ISO files for my VM’s? – You can create a mount point inside /vmimages so your VM’s can access ISO files when needed. You could just create a directory on your VMFS volume and copy them there but this takes valuable disk space away from the ESX server. You can also use this technique to create other mount points on the ESX server if you need to copy files from a Windows server to or from it for patches and other things.

• First you will have to open the firewall port in ESX by typing in the service console “esxcfg-firewall -e smbClient”. This opens outbound TCP ports 137 – 139 and 445.

• Next make sure the Local Security Policy on the Windows Server you are going to map to has the following settings under Security options. If you do not do this you may get a “Stale NFS Handle” or “Permission denied” error when trying to mount.

o Microsoft network client - digitally sign communications (always) – DISABLED

o Microsoft network client - digitally sign communications (if server agrees) – DISABLED

o Microsoft network server - digitally sign communications (always) – DISABLED

o Microsoft network server - digitally sign communications (if server agrees) – DISABLED

• Next type “cd /vmimages” and then “mkdir ISO”

• Next type “mount -t smbfs -o username= 0 0”

o Edit /etc/rc.local using Nano or Vi

o Add the following line to the bottom of the file “mount –a”

How do I create a NFS volume on a Windows Server to use for storing ISO files for my VM’s? – You can do this if you have Windows 2003 Server R2 which has built-in NFS Services

• On the Windows 2003 Server make sure “Microsoft Services for NFS” in installed. If not you need to add it under Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components, Other Network File and Print Services

• Next go to folder you want to share and right-click on it and select Properties

• Click on the NFS Sharing tab and select “Share this Folder”

• Enter a Share Name, check “Anonymous Access” and make sure the UID and GID are both -2

• In VirtualCenter, select your ESX server and click the “Configuration” tab and then select “Storage”

• Click on “Add Storage” and select “Network File System” as the storage type

• Enter the Windows Server name, the folder (share) name and a descriptive Datastore Name

• Once it finishes the configuration you can now map your VM’s CD-ROM devices to this new VMFS volume

Todd_Wilkerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I renamed the original /vmimages and instead made /vmimages a symbolic link to a shared VMFS volume that contains the iso images.

For one reason, I don't want those with remote console access to be able to install the vmtools anyway. Another reason is with shared storage, you only need to copy one .iso to each storage group instead of storing it locally on each ESX host.

So I did something like:

mv /vmimages /vmimages.oem

ln -s /vmfs/volumes/xxxxxx/iso /vmimages

0 Kudos
dbennett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Since I'm a linux ignoramous, could I create a dir under VMFS called ISOS (or something similar) and then create a link of some sort under VMIMAGES so /VMIMAGES/ISOS would go to the ISOS dir under VMFS? If so, how would I do this?

0 Kudos
pdpelsem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

mkdir /isos

mkdir -p /vmimages (does /vmimages exist by default?)

to make the link:

ln -s /isos /vmimages/isos

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ran into this same problem... thanks. I'll try this when I get back to the office.

!st po$t![/b]

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos