VMware Cloud Community
mrfern
Contributor
Contributor

how to convert ESX 3.5 Virtual Machine to use on a VMWARE workstation on my laptop? Is there a PLUGIN???

All,

How to take my Virtual Machine on my ESX server and use it on my VMWARE workstation in my laptop?

This must be very easy and I did GOOGLE it but I can not find the correct answer. I need to know if a process or plugin exists to convert any of the Virtual Machines I have created on my ESX 3.5 Server to use on my Laptop. I have base images that work perfect on my ESX server but I want to take them to my VMWARE Workstation Client on my Laptop. I have been told there is a EXPORT to VMWorkstaiton button on the VMWARE Infrastructure Client but I can not see it. I am thinking 3rd party plug in.

Thanks

Fern

0 Kudos
7 Replies
HSpeirs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fern,

No plugin is required. With the VM powered off, right click the Virtual Machine in VI. One of the options is to export it. The export wizard gives you the option of what format to export it in, one of the options is for VMWare Workstation.

H.

0 Kudos
DustinTTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

If you have VMware Converter Enterprise Client plugin installed and enabled you should be able to right click on a VM then export. You can also use the VMware Converter standalone.

Dustin

0 Kudos
mrfern
Contributor
Contributor

I read that as well and do not see it do so I figured I am missing a plug in. I am on the hunt now for the plugin.

Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
mrfern
Contributor
Contributor

Dustin,

Where do I get this plugin. Is this it?

VMware Converterer Enterprise Client plugin

Fern

0 Kudos
DustinTTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

That link is the standalone which will work as well and is a free download (http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/). Are you running vCenter? The export functionality requires Virtual Center with VMware Converter Enterprise installed on it with the plugin enabled/installed on the client side.

Dustin

0 Kudos
mrfern
Contributor
Contributor

Dustin,

I think you solved my probllem. I am running the VI client 2.5 only. So I assume if I ran the VI Center then I would have the option. I will try that. Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
DustinTTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Correct. You will need to use the standalone converter,which has the same functionality, if you do not run vCenter .

Dustin

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".