VMware Cloud Community
alex_h1
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Delta Files Problem.

Hello Community,

I had to cancel a scripted backup which left a delta and snapshot file behind, I deleted the snapshot through the Manager and was left with some strange consolidated backup snapshot? I have managed to remove this but am now left with 6 files.

SERVER-01_1-000001-delta.vmdk

SERVER-01_1-000001.vmdk

SERVER-01_1-000002-delta.vmdk

SERVER-01_1-000002.vmdk

SERVER-01_1-000003-delta.vmdk

SERVER-01_1-000003.vmdk

There are no snapshot files and nothing visible to remove from Snapshot Manager, my backup script is ignoring this particular VM as it contains snapshot delta's! The VM works fine but when its first starts it sits at 95% for some time before it completes.

Any help would be appreciated:D

0 Kudos
2 Replies
alex_h1
Contributor
Contributor

Just as a follow up I was using Mittell's awesome script, which I hasten to add did not cause the issue:)

0 Kudos
sandsturm77
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem on some machines. The backup script wasn't executed correctly, at them moment I don't know why. I could be because of a slow storage performace at the time the backup was running.

For some machines it's possible to delete the delta files and edit the vmx file to set as disk file the normal vmdk file. But then I lose the changes in the time between snapshot failure and now. Is there a chance to commit these snapshots without seeing it in snapshot manger ober the VI Client?

0 Kudos