VMware Cloud Community
thebink65
Contributor
Contributor

Possibly lost datastore

We had some storage issues tonight and all of our RDMs seem to be intact when we present them to other hosts. However the datastore appears correctly under Storage Adapters, it does not appear under Storage after numerous rescans and reboots.

We started the "Add Storage" process just to see if the datastore appears in the list and it does show up and also indicates VMFS file system, however we did not go any further to avoid the reformatting.

Does anyone know of a way to verify whether we lost the datastore or not? Every other LUN on the storage array appears fine other than the datastore, but this LUN could have been affected by the disk failure even though it was a RAID 5 array with a spare.

We are completely down, so any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have this issue before with a Dot hill FC SAN. In order to resolve this I had to completely reboot the SAN, then the ESX servers. Then it all came back. I was lucky that this was a remote small site and everything was down so rebooting the SAN was not an issue.

In the SAN console the luns were showing as having data on them. Because of this I knew the luns were fine. However I could verify that the vmfs datastores were fine until the SAN was rebooted.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

0 Kudos