VMware Cloud Community
arunprasad
Contributor
Contributor

VM console is not opening from VI client.

I am not able to connect the VM console from VI client. please see the attachment , i am getting the same error on the webAccess also.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

Usally this is because name resolution (DNS) is not working properly.

Log into the console of the ESX server and make sure that you can ping your FQDN name of your esx server and your pc.

Check you DNS settings

(as a TEST, insert your pc and esx server IP's into /etc/hosts and see if it works then)

0 Kudos
boomd
Contributor
Contributor

I was getting the same error. Adding the following line to /etc/vmware/config resolved the issue:

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy=TRUE

No host reboot was required, I just added the line and closed off the VI client and logged back in and the console worked.

Worrying thing is that the posts that had this as a solution date back to 2006 and the bug still exists - we are running esx update 2 and VC 2.5 Build 104215, VIC 2.5 Build 103672. We don't often use the console from VC so I can't exactly pinpoint when this became a problem or if it was related to update 2 (I only noticed it about a week ago) but prior to adding the above line the console would only open on the host that is running the VC Server any VM's on the other host could not be opened from VMware Infrastructure Client. I believe it has something to do with NAT and hosts being on different subnets.

0 Kudos
Kirek
Contributor
Contributor

YES!!

Thank You, that was it!

We havn't been able to open the console since we applied the Update 2.

I can confirm that it did start after the update.

0 Kudos