VMware Cloud Community
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Time configuration tab and ntp.conf / step-tickers

Hi so just wondering with the new time configuration tab do we still need to define ntp servers in ntp.conf and step tickers or is that now redundant? Just I have a few hosts that are about 10min out in their time I checked and neither the ntp or tickers file are defined but the time configuration tab is along with ntp client enabled in the firewall....

Cheers!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nirubagur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't think you need to do anything on the ntp.conf or the step-tickers. you just need to enter the ntp server settings in the configuration tab. I have seen the issue what you have mentioned but can be resolved by restarting the ntp service available in the same window..hope that helps.

Award points if you found this answer helpful....

award points of you found this answer helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nirubagur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't think you need to do anything on the ntp.conf or the step-tickers. you just need to enter the ntp server settings in the configuration tab. I have seen the issue what you have mentioned but can be resolved by restarting the ntp service available in the same window..hope that helps.

Award points if you found this answer helpful....

award points of you found this answer helpful
0 Kudos
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you read that somewhere? Or is that your opinion? I have looked through the pdf's and the release notes and it isnt really mentioned anywhere....

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi..

When using the VI Client entering /deleting NTP servers etc is reflected in ntp.conf and stepstickers..

So if these are empty I would try to reconfigure NTP settings...

Just tried it on an ESX 3.5 U4 host manged by VC 2.5 U4... and updating happens as expected..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Rubeck,

Thanks for the reply.. I would do the same but I cant touch these servers as they are in prod I would need to raise a CR blah blah... Smiley Happy So your saying when you define a NTP server in the Time Configuration tab under configuration of the host server this automaticlly updates your ntp.conf and step-tickers? Could you show me a copy of your ntp.conf ? (take out the details u dont want us to see of course)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Sure -.... here is the content of each file when NTP is configured (NTP server IP 10.1.1.1)

root@xxxxx root# cat /etc/ntp.conf

restrict kod nomodify notrap noquery nopeer

restrict 127.0.0.1

server 10.1.1.1

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift

root@xxxx root#

root@xxxx root# cat /etc/ntp/step-tickers

server 10.1.1.1

root@xxxx root#

/Rubeck

packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys for your help.. seems restarting NTP kicked it back into life.. strangly tho nothing is defined in step-tickers but it is in the ntp.conf.. hmmm just one of those things I guess!!

0 Kudos