VMware Cloud Community
Dynamax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Service console memory almost full

Hi

I have recently increased the service console memory to 800MB. The hosts were working fine before and werent maxing out the original amount of memory. But now its using around 770MB on all servers. When i run 'top' it lists 320 processes the majority of them are webaccess. Is this normal?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use 'swapon -s' or 'cat /proc/swaps' to see your swap information.

From your output, you are using blocks ' 1357 17769 131837422' for your extended partition, of which you are using up to block 17769. This means you have 0 space left on your drive for additional filesystems. You will have to live with a swap that is not 2x your memory. Not a good thing, but it won't really hurt you that much.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well for one the Service Console isn't really for you. It's to manage problems on the server. So these performance stats you shouldn't ever 'see'. Did you install any 3rd party managment agents on the ESX server? If not, then unless it's causing performance issues or swap for the SC memory, I wouldn't worry about it.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also when you increased your service console memory did you increase the size of your swap partion to 2x SC emmory or 1600 MB?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default, when you run top, you are seeing the active threads. That's why you see so many of the same "process" in your view. You can turn that off by using 'H' to turn off threads. That should bring the process list down a bit, and help you get at what's eating all the memory. As the others pointed out, if you're not swapping, then it shouldn't be an issue.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
Dynamax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for your responses.

I havent increased the size of the swapfile but have just seen a post on this so will take a look through that. Good thats its nothing to worry about.

quick quetion though. Obviously fdisk -l will give me the partitions but how do I know what partition is what and if I have space to create another swap file.

thanks

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

'vdf -h' will tell you which filesystems are mounted on what, as well as /etc/fstab. In your fdisk -l output, type 83 is linux filesystem, 82 is linux swap, fb is vmfs, fc is vmkcore.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
Dynamax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks

this is the output from vdf -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sdv2 9.7G 1.8G 7.4G 20% /

/dev/sdv1 99M 31M 64M 33% /boot

none 391M 0 391M 0% /dev/shm

/dev/sdv5 4.9G 252M 4.4G 6% /var/log

/vmfs/devices 136G 0 136G 0% /vmfs/devices

this is the output from fdisk -l | grep /dev/sdv

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sdv1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux

/dev/sdv2 14 1287 10233405 83 Linux

/dev/sdv3 1288 1356 554242+ 82 Linux swap

/dev/sdv4 1357 17769 131837422+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)

/dev/sdv5 1357 1993 5116671 83 Linux

/dev/sdv6 1994 2006 104391 fc Unknown

/dev/sdv7 2007 17769 126616212+ fb Unknown

Please excuse if im being stupid but I assume /dev/sdv3 is the swap partition. How can I call a) the current size and b) if I have space to create a new one

thanks

again

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use 'swapon -s' or 'cat /proc/swaps' to see your swap information.

From your output, you are using blocks ' 1357 17769 131837422' for your extended partition, of which you are using up to block 17769. This means you have 0 space left on your drive for additional filesystems. You will have to live with a swap that is not 2x your memory. Not a good thing, but it won't really hurt you that much.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos