VMware Cloud Community
djenn40
Contributor
Contributor

Optimal Settings for Partitioning

We currently have a 8 host cluster with each host using the following partition sizes during installation (67 GB drive):

/boot 100 mb

/ 10 GB

/var 4 GB

vmkcore 102 mb

swap 550 mb

vmfs remaining space or 52 GB

Are these sufficient for ESX or will we get any performance improvements by increasing any of the partitions? The local vmfs isn't used as all our servers reside on a SAN. I haven't found a white paper with the best specs to use and these were what we used to use when we had limited storage for the OS.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Are these sufficient for ESX or will we get any performance improvements by increasing any of the partitions? The local vmfs isn't used as all our servers reside on a SAN. I haven't found a white paper with the best specs to use and these were what we used to use when we had limited storage for the OS.

Duncan's site has a great blog entry and discussion on partitioning schemes. The biggest issue with the current setup you have is possibly the Swap size. I usually make the Swap 1600 MB, so that you can up the SC memory to 800 MB. This depends too on how many agents and other 3rd party apps you use in the SC, as well. Sounds like you have disk to spare though, so it might be a good practice to implement.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
djenn40
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll review the blog shortly. Are the following required: /tmp, /home, and /opt? We haven't use them in any of our 8 current hosts nor did we use them in our ESX 3.0 environment.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Are the following required: /tmp, /home, and /opt?

No. The required and optional partitions are listed in the ESX Server 3 and VirtualCenter Installation Guide.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos