VMware Cloud Community
Pound
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NIC Teaming Best Practise

Hi,

I have 1 server that has 8 gigabit ports inside. There will be 6 VLAN (including VLAN ID 4095) inside this ESX server. Is it best practise to team up all 8 gigabit ports and link to vSwitch0 (Default) and create port group per VLAN?

Regards,

T.S.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

absolutely is not a stupid question Smiley Happy

Only for security and performance reason. You can use teaming configuration in boht case. (2 nics for sc and vmotion and 4 nics for vlan tagged vm)

It's importand to undertatnd that there is not an absolutely answare, but only a best practice, and it's correct also your design.

Thank's Alberto

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That will certainly work, however it's a better practise in my opinion to have a seperate vswitch for your DMZ traffic, a seperate vSwtich for standard VM traffic, seperate vswitch for your service console and vmkernel portgroups (although these 2 can be on the same vswitch).

ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

depending from: vm number or better traffic bandwith that you need.

A best paractices is separate SC from vm traffic. In your case you can setup a bond with a couple of nics for sc and vmotion and other 4 nics for vlan tagged traffic for your vm.

Remember: is better use vlan and port group in a single teamed vswitch than use multiple switch. VSwitch load vmkernel activity.

I hope useful this notes

bye Alberto

Pound
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seem likes all documents about ESX server said that we need to seperate Service Console and VMkernal to different NIC. This may be a stupid question to ask guru that why we need to do if one of advantages for NIC teaming is automatic failover. In my case, why do we team all 8 NICs to handle all network traffic?

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

absolutely is not a stupid question Smiley Happy

Only for security and performance reason. You can use teaming configuration in boht case. (2 nics for sc and vmotion and 4 nics for vlan tagged vm)

It's importand to undertatnd that there is not an absolutely answare, but only a best practice, and it's correct also your design.

Thank's Alberto

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you seen Texiwill's post?

http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blue_Gears_-_Virtual_Networking

Jase McCarty, VCP, vExpert

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach