VMware Cloud Community
claudiodanduono
Contributor
Contributor

LUN Sizing : VM + SQL Server 2000 + Oracle9i = 230GB/VM

Hi,

I have 6 HP DL580G5 and an HP EVA 4400 with 30 450GB disks. I created only a big 30 disks

double parity disk group; I see no reasons to split it, am I right ?

I need to store on it around 20 VMs (but they'll grow) each with a 100GB oracle 9i DB and a 100GB SQL Server 2000 D. I have to create 3 different vdisks:

• SQLServer : 100GB

• Oracle : 100GB

And moreover, I need to store others 20 VMs that work as application servers front-end for the previouses 20 back-end (DB) VM. I want to clarify that all that VMs don't generate a lot of I/O, because most of them are used few times per da.

I read a lot of threads about LUN sizing, but only for small (OS only) VMs.

I have 3 questions.

1) For better performances is it better to store OS vdisks and DBs vdisks on different LUNs (2 LUNs for all OSes and 2 LUNs for all DBs) ? Or is it better if I put all three vdisks in the same LUN ?

2) I don't understand if best practice on LUN sizing (500GB per LUN) is to respect a maximum VMs number (maximum 10-12 VM per each LUN) or because if I put 10 VMs in a 2GB LUN, they really experience a worst performance then if I put them in a 500GB LUN. I have that doubt because my VMs are 230GB each, and If I create a 500GB LUN, I can put on it only 2 VMs, and this isn't great for management.

Is it so crazy if I create 2GB LUNs that will store 8 VMs each ?

3) I found nowhere the choice to extend a vmfs in more LUNs, may I have any problem if I do it ?

Thank you very much

Claudio

0 Kudos
2 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

How often would you really need to manage the SAN LUNs? Not that often in my opinion. I would keep them for instance down to 1TB and put 3 or 4 VMs on there. Keep at least 10% of free space available... (for snapshots etc..)

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

claudiodanduono
Contributor
Contributor

Hi depping,

thank you for your answer.

I would like to understand why I have to create 1GB LUNs instead of 2GB.

Bye

Claudio

0 Kudos