VMware Cloud Community
Kallex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to upgrade from ESXi 3.5 u 2 without uninstall/reinstall/reconfigure?

Hi!

Last time when I upgraded from evaluation version to ESXi 3.5u2 I couldn't find any proper information of how to do it; eventually I went on "repair" route that "repaired" the 3.5u2 on top of existing 3.5u1.

This is stand-alone ESXi environment managed through VI Client (although all the suggestions relating to stand-alone ESXi are welcome, but rather "use the upgrade option on VirtualCenter" are not helpful).

Now that "repair" route required full reconfiguration of resource pools, reimporting VMs, reconfiguring the networks, which will be quite an insult to injury when all the ESXi users are required to patch/upgrade as soon as this time bomb gets fixed.

Could someone with proper insight provide information how we can upgrade ESXi cleanly without losing the existing configuration? I initially took the "repair" route because it was only sensible thing present when booting up from installation media. The install option warns about cleaning out entire partition during the install, which is not feasible operation if you haven't dedicated the partition solely to ESXi (for example we run some common backup/support VMs on that same partition).

Br,

Kalle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Kallex..

I havn't got much experience with 3i, but dosn't the setup guide describe on how to do this?

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3i_e/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_3i_setup.pdf (Chapter 10, page 113)

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Kallex..

I havn't got much experience with 3i, but dosn't the setup guide describe on how to do this?

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3i_e/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_3i_setup.pdf (Chapter 10, page 113)

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Kallex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi!

That document seems to describe the process indeed with the update tool (that doesn't seem to require other than ESXi). For some reason I didn't find that document last time I was trying to find information about the update.

I think I found something more ESX related (that did address the ESXi as well), but the scenarios available there did not seem to apply standalone ESXi.

Br,

Kalle

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Take a look to the "vihostupdate" RCLI command. About for backup your config you can use "vicfg-cfgbackup".

regards

Joerg