VMware Cloud Community
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How to rename a VM and datastore files easily ?

Hi, when I rename a VM in inventory, vmdk files are not rename. What 's the best way to rename them too ?

Thanks

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The easiest way I have found is to simply clone the VM to a new name, that way everything gets named correctly. After the clone is done, delete the one with the old name.

-Randy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The easiest way I have found is to simply clone the VM to a new name, that way everything gets named correctly. After the clone is done, delete the one with the old name.

-Randy

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Fast and dirty:

Remove the VM from the inventory.

Rename the vmdk file at the console prompt using

$ vmkfstools --renamevirtualdisk \[vmdk name]

Create a new vm and choose "use existing virtualdisk", browse for the renamed vmdk file(s)

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Power off the VM. Commit any existing snapshots. Edit the VM settings and remove the disk you want to rename. Use vmfkstools -E originalvmdkname.vmdk newvmdkname.vmdk to rename the disk. Edit the settings of the VM, add a disk, select use existing disk file, then browse to your renamed VMDK file.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=5096672

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yup, more than one way to skin a VM.

Message was edited by:

pdrace

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There definitely is, heck you could even use Converter to get the job done also.

0 Kudos