VMware Cloud Community
Wall-E
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do can you import Microsoft virtual server .vmc/.vhd into ESX 3.5

Hello All,

How can you import a Microsoft virtual server into ESX 3.5? Is it possible to use option 3 for a standalone virtual server or 3rd party product, or would it be best to import as a physical computer even though it is not?

I have tried importing a test virtual machine as a physical computer and although it worked, there were some problems such as the NIC not keeping the IP address assigned. This could be a real problem when we go to move production systems. Another issue was that the MS virtual machine did not turn off and we have to manually shut this system down once it migrates over.

Any assistance or thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From the sounds of it, you already found VMware Converter and tried to hot-migrate your existing VM as a physical host, what is hinting at is to use the option in Converter to directly migrate the VM, so a direct Virtual 2 Virtual migration. You will have to shut down your VM in order to do so and then select "Other" as your first step when the converter asks you where to import the original machine from.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Converter can import MS Virtual Server VMs into ESX -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Wall-E
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was told that in class and I have the Converter Enterprise Client installed and enabled, but running the import wizard, even though it mentions Microsoft Virtual Machines, I am not sure which method would work best. As I mentioned earlier, I have some difficulties setting the source as a Physical computer and was asking if there is another way to import these machines. When I try using Standalone virtual machine as the source type, when I specify the virtual machine to import (which *.vmc is listed as supported file type) with proper authentication, I receive an error "Unable to determine Guest Operating System."

Any ideas????

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From the sounds of it, you already found VMware Converter and tried to hot-migrate your existing VM as a physical host, what is hinting at is to use the option in Converter to directly migrate the VM, so a direct Virtual 2 Virtual migration. You will have to shut down your VM in order to do so and then select "Other" as your first step when the converter asks you where to import the original machine from.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When I try using Standalone virtual machine as the source type, when I specify the virtual machine to import (which *.vmc is listed as supported file type) with proper authentication, I receive an error "Unable to determine Guest Operating System."

What is your guest OS?

Just now I tried to import a freeBSD5.1 VPC image into the converter which comes with VMware workstation 6.5 beta and it didn't complain like that about the guest OS...

What version of VMware converter are you using?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
Wall-E
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the help. I am going to mark your answers as the solution. What it seems to be permissions. Even though I am using the domain adminstrator account, I needed to specifically grant full control to the individual directory containg the the vmc. Already had the virtual machine down.

0 Kudos
Wall-E
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What else........Microsoft. Doesn't play well in the sandbox with others you know.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Heh, yeah, somehow I know what you mean Smiley Wink

Good to hear you resolved your issue and thanks for the points!

--

Wil

0 Kudos