VMware Cloud Community
robjeff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has anyone successfully resized their boot partition on a vm?

All -

I have successfully extended my vmdk file for my primary server.

I have mount that vmdk file to a second vm.

I used diskpart.exe to extend my c:\ partition I got the following message. "The volume you have selected may not be extended.

Please select another volume and try again"

However I was able to successfully extend my d:\ partition.

My question:

Has anyone successfully resized their boot partition of a vm using no third party apps? If so how?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
22 Replies
robjeff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

tgradig -

As you stated I moved the page file to the D:\ partition and restarted the box. Unfortunately I got the same response 'Could not extend volume'.

I used the VMWare converter tool as mentioned above and it worked. One thing that I noticed is that the VMWare converter tool gave a warning about page & hibernation files. Could I have missed something in your process? Do you know anything about hibernating files and how to move them.

All in all I like this process because it is fairly quick and doesn't require a large amount of additional disk space like the VM Ware converter tool. If you know of something that I may have missed I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Agreed, using Converter is good for shrinking disks but for growing them is like using a firehose to water a plant. Why go through all the time/effort not to mention complications with using Converter. If you check the Converter forums you'll find hundreds of posts from people having problems doing simple conversions with Converter, plus the risk of corrupting data since you are doing a file level copy in Converter when you resize disks.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

But default Converter will not move those files, they are simply re-created when the converted system is first booted. You can un-check the option in the Converter wizard so they are copied when the conversion process runs. It will take longer this way since it has to copy those large files.

0 Kudos