VMware Cloud Community
snootalope
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Grant Web Access to single vm on esx host

I've read the admin guide, and spent a couple hours online reading about this and other users issuses trying to do the same thing..

I've got VC 2.5 and ESX 3.5 up running just fine. I want to give web access to one VM#1 running on ESX host #1 in this this case, using the "generate console URL"

I went in to VC and granted the permission of Virtual Machine User to the particular user I want to access the VM. I granted that permission at the esx host and on the vm. When the user tries to login (it's a domain account) they get login failed due to bad username or password. It seems the only account that can login to the web access is the root account on that esx host. I'm at a loss here, as I've also tried setting that user as an admin and so forth. Still, the only accoun that can login to web access is that local host root account.

What am I missing here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is the user trying to access Web Access from the ESX Server? Which is what I think they are doing because without some third party tool they will only be able to authenticate against users that are in the service console including root. If they are try to access Web Access from VC by pointing a browser at VC then they should be able to AD credentials to access their VM.

Another thing to remember is that permissions set in VC only apply when you are logging into VC

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is the user trying to access Web Access from the ESX Server? Which is what I think they are doing because without some third party tool they will only be able to authenticate against users that are in the service console including root. If they are try to access Web Access from VC by pointing a browser at VC then they should be able to AD credentials to access their VM.

Another thing to remember is that permissions set in VC only apply when you are logging into VC

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The account has to exist locally on the ESX server. Only then can you give permissions for those accounts. The account can authenticate to AD, if ad authentication is enabled on the ESX host, but without a user database, only the local users are allowed access to the host. With VC, AD users are allowed if the VC is part of a domain.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
snootalope
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

duh.. i had them accessing the esx host rather than the vc. Thanks!

0 Kudos