VMware Cloud Community
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Deploying a Template using sysprep

Just upgraded VC to 2.5 and an ESX server to 3.5. Now when deploying the template I am unable to "Select the option to use in customizing the guest operating system of the new virtual machine." The option "Customize using and existing customization specification” is grayed out with the only option of “do not customize” to select from. I’ve cloned the VM, updated the VMTools, Migrated to 3.0.2 back to 3.5, build new VM, created new customization under the “Customization Specification Manager” and still unable to deploy the template. One thing I have not done is, download the latest sysprep that requires SP2 to be running on the VC server. Not sure that I need to do that?

Will Johnson VCP on VI3 / VI4 vSphere 5
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Homer_J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Check out this link:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

there is some changes between vc 2.0 and 2.5 make sure you have the latest xp sysprep tools in the xp folder under the virtualcenter\sysprep area.

Homer_J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Check out this link:

0 Kudos
sthoppay_wipro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sysprep files need to be in right folder

C:\Documents and setting\All users\....

To figure out the right path, use filemon (Windows resource kit utility and it can be downloaded alone from Microsoft site) with filter sysprep & perform the operation of deploying VM.

It will show which folder it is looking for the executable.

c_henry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm having exactly the same problem, I've downloaded filemon, filtered on sysprep and tried to deploy a 2003 Server. Filemon reports success for all file lookups shows that VC finds the sysprep file in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003

So not sure what's going wrong, any ideas?

VC 2.0.0 Build 64192

Many thanks,

c_henry

0 Kudos