VMware Cloud Community
dcaperton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add an evaluation host to an existing esx cluster

I have a 2 host esx 3.5 cluster. I just bought 3 new servers to add to the farm. My thoughts are, I would be able to add these 3 new systems to my current cluster as evaluation hosts until I purchase new licenses. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dean_Holland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why not obtain evaluation licences through the Virtual Infrastructure product page and either combine it with your existing licence file or use the evaluation licences on their own for 30 days. When you get your new licences you can combine them all through the License Management portal and get a new licence file with all your purchased licences in it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's possible, but do you have enough licenses on your VCMS server to add them? You will need to ensure you have a VC agent for ESX as well as HA and DRS.

0 Kudos
dcaperton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The 2 existing systems are licensed but no additional licensed have been purchased yet for the 3 new systems. I was hoping to get all of them up and configured before I purchased the new licenses. How do I add them as eval hosts?

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You should be able to configure the hosts themselves as evaluation mode which gives full functionality for 60 days.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

maybe i'm wrong and i don't have a system in front of me to test, but if you hadd eval hosts into a production VCMS, you will be using production licenses. The only way you can continue to keep them as evaluation server would be to build a VCMS as evaluation. You can create a VM within your production enviornment, install VCMS, then add the two eval servers into an eval VCMS.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

you could be right...I know you can add eval hosts into a VC system along with prod...if there are no licenses it just goes into Eval mode because I'm sure I've done that before...

Not sure about adding them into an existing cluster..

0 Kudos
Dean_Holland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why not obtain evaluation licences through the Virtual Infrastructure product page and either combine it with your existing licence file or use the evaluation licences on their own for 30 days. When you get your new licences you can combine them all through the License Management portal and get a new licence file with all your purchased licences in it.

0 Kudos