VMware Cloud Community
epinto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VIC 2.5 in Vista - VpxClient has stopped working

After a clean install of VIC 2.5 on a 32bit Vista PC, the VIC never opens and exists with a "VpxClient has stopped working" message.

That's it, nothing else.

I've taken the time to look at two existing threads and suggested solutions without success.

Both here:

And here:

Also, here's the application log from C:\Users\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\VMware\vpx

2008-04-02 19:07:15.225 Log for VI Client Launcher, pid=4880, version=2.5.0, build=build-64192, option=release
2008-04-02 19:07:15.495 A fatal unhandled error occured in vi client
2008-04-02 19:07:15.520 System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.ArgumentException: Font 'Tahoma' does not support style 'Regular'.
at System.Drawing.Font.CreateNativeFont()
at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(FontFamily family, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)
at System.Drawing.Font..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._SerializationInvoke(Object target, SignatureStruct& declaringTypeSig, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.SerializationInvoke(Object target, SignatureStruct declaringTypeSig, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.SerializationInvoke(Object target, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.FixupSpecialObject(ObjectHolder holder)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups()
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.DeserializeObject(Int32 typeIndex)
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObjectV2(Int32 pos, ResourceTypeCode& typeCode)
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObject(Int32 pos)
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ResourceEnumerator.get_Entry()
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ResourceEnumerator.get_Current()
at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.FillResources(CultureInfo culture, ResourceSet& resourceSet)
at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.FillResources(CultureInfo culture, ResourceSet& resourceSet)
at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.ApplyResources(Object value, String objectName, CultureInfo culture)
at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.ApplyResources(Object value, String objectName)
at VpxClient.FormVpxConnect.InitializeComponent()
at VpxClient.FormVpxConnect..ctor()
at VpxClient.Program.Main(String[] commandline)

I'm stuck Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcvmwaresupport
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I got my newly updated VIC 2.5.0 build 84767 working today on Vista (no sp1). I don't know if it will continue to work, but here's what I did:

1. copy libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll from c:\program files\vmware\infrastructure\virtual infrastructure client\2.5 to c:\program files\vmware\infrastructure\virtual infrastructure client\launcher

2. open regedit and delete "hkey_current_user\software\vmware\virtual infrastructure client" and "hkey_current_user\software\vmware\vmware infrastructure client" (warning, this will remove all saved settings for your client)

3. set the shortcut to xpsp2 compatibility mode

I dont' know if ALL of these are necessary, but that's what I did, and I've been working all day on it without a crash. Good luck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Registry fix or update to SP1, other than that, I don't think the VIC supports Vista. I am using Vista however, it is VERY flaky. One day it will crash 3 or 4 times, and lock up, other days I don't have a single issue. Vista does have other issues, but since I use the VIC all day, I notice that with the VIC there are definite issues.

You may also try compatibility mode.

epinto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi rpaker,

You actually got it working?

I just tried using the compatibility mode (XPSP2) and didn't work. Same "VpxClient has stopped working" message.

I'm going to install Vista SP1, let's see what happens.

0 Kudos
mcvmwaresupport
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I got my newly updated VIC 2.5.0 build 84767 working today on Vista (no sp1). I don't know if it will continue to work, but here's what I did:

1. copy libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll from c:\program files\vmware\infrastructure\virtual infrastructure client\2.5 to c:\program files\vmware\infrastructure\virtual infrastructure client\launcher

2. open regedit and delete "hkey_current_user\software\vmware\virtual infrastructure client" and "hkey_current_user\software\vmware\vmware infrastructure client" (warning, this will remove all saved settings for your client)

3. set the shortcut to xpsp2 compatibility mode

I dont' know if ALL of these are necessary, but that's what I did, and I've been working all day on it without a crash. Good luck

0 Kudos
epinto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's great!

I am unfortunately unable to test this. I made the effort (mistake?) of

applying Vista SP1 and it completely hosed my system. Even upper tier

Microsoft technical support (free for SP1 related issues) are stumped.

I'm looking at a rebuild situation... exactly what I don't need right

now.

If my newly built system reacts the same way, I'll post here again.

But as far as I know I am done with this thread, at least for now.

Thank you for posting your findings though!

-Elias

0 Kudos
hello1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did this and everything seems to work perfectly

Thanks !

0 Kudos
raggyomar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked perfect for me, thankyou!

0 Kudos
mchpis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This also worked for me.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
epinto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the "it worked for me" messages. Time to close this.

0 Kudos