VMware Cloud Community
CarloX_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading clustered vm from esx2.5 to esx3

Hi to all,

In VI2.5 virtual machine with ms cluster service was supported with system disk placed in shared SAN, now in VI3 seem to be necessary that system disk must be placed into the local storage of ESX server. If I need to upgrade a virtual farm from 2.5 to 3, what are the step that I have to do for this type of vm?

Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paulo_meireles
Jump to solution

You're welcome! Let us know how it went.

And next time, be sure to post the question as a question so you can award points for helpful/correct answers... Smiley Happy

Paulo

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
paulo_meireles
Jump to solution

I'm assuming you already have RDMs in place, and the only problem is the system disk. If so, here's what I'd do.

0 - Backup. This should always be done.

1 - Take one node down. Write down all information about the RDMs and then remove all shared storage from the VM - basically, make the machine a "regular" VM (not clustered).

2 - Migrate it to ESX 3.0, and place it into local storage.

3 - Create RDMs to the appropriate clustered LUNs and add them to the migrated cluster node.

4 - Test it by powering the node on. Apply VMware Tools. Check it again.

5 - If tests are successful, repeat for second node.

6 - Enjoy a cold beer. You deserved it. Congratulate yourself that it's not a physical server migration. Smiley Wink

Paulo

CarloX_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot paulo for your great help!!! I'll try ...

0 Kudos
paulo_meireles
Jump to solution

You're welcome! Let us know how it went.

And next time, be sure to post the question as a question so you can award points for helpful/correct answers... Smiley Happy

Paulo

0 Kudos
paulo_meireles
Jump to solution

Thanks! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos