VMware Edu & Cert Community
THADC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Home Lab Issue - Why can't I See All Three Network Adapters?

Hello,

I n preparation for VCP5 exam, I am setting up a little home lab. I wanted to try things like NIC teaming and dvSwitches, so I have added 2 addtional ethernet adapters to my host machine.

My host has all three network adapters visible from the device manager. From Workstation 8 running on the host, I have a vm with Server 2008 as a guest OS. From the device manager on that guest OS, I see only one of the three ethernet adapters. I did the installation of that vm with a bridged networking.

What might be the reason that I can only see one of the three adapters, and what can I do about it so that I would be able to see all of them?

Thanks for any response.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The physical adapter in the host are not what you see in the VMs. In the VMs you only see the virtual adapters which are configured for the individual VMs. You can even have a VM with up to 10 virtual NICs with only one physical adapter.

André

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Hi,

Already a.p. answered your query, The VM reflects only the guest Virtual network adapters not the host adapters.

Really you don't want 3 network adapters in the host machine for this.

Just You need to  add the network adapter for the Virtual machine.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
THADC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the responses, and the insight. I am trying to find where to add virtual adapters to my windows 2008 vm. Do I add them from the Workstation 8 tool, or from the vSphere Client? Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can only add the additional virtual NIC's (or modify other settings for the VM) on the platform on which you created the VM.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
THADC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andre, thanks for the link ultimate vSphere lab (and all other posts from yourself and others). Wish I'd stumbled on that link sooner!

0 Kudos