VMware Cloud Community
scale21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

tools and hardware upgrades via update manager after upgrade

If i run a baseline to upgrade tools and vmware hardware and then choose remediate, is update manager smart enough to do tools first and then do the upgrade of the vm hardware? I have some machines i have moved from 4.1 to 5.1 and both operations need to be done. I just don't know if i should do them both together or separately.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
imourza
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This logic is embedded in Update Manager if you use Baseline grouping: basically, create a Baseline Group with Tools and Hardware baselines, attach Baseline Group to VM(s) of your interest, and remediate. Else, you can do remediation via stand-alone baselines - in which case, you would need to remediate Tools first, then Hardware.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
imourza
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This logic is embedded in Update Manager if you use Baseline grouping: basically, create a Baseline Group with Tools and Hardware baselines, attach Baseline Group to VM(s) of your interest, and remediate. Else, you can do remediation via stand-alone baselines - in which case, you would need to remediate Tools first, then Hardware.

0 Kudos
scale21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks. I just created a group and it appeared to work great. IT gave me the option to create a snapshot prior. I assume this was for vmware tools rollback only? I thought you were not able to rollback a virtual hardware upgrade.

0 Kudos
imourza
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Snapshot should keep the older hardware as well.

0 Kudos