VMware Horizon Community
begae60
Contributor
Contributor

Size limit of .dat file?

Dear VM-Community,

I'm trying since days to Thinapp Office 2010 following the steps from this guide:

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/08/step-by-step-instructions-on-how-to-thinapp-office-2010.html

Well, I created a .msi file for installation with a seperat .dat file as data container. The .dat file is over 3 GB huge. The installation is successful under Windows XP, under Windows 7 (x86), the installation crashes with the following error message:

Error: 1310. Error attempting to create the destination file: C:\Program Files (x86)\office_2010std (VMware ThinApp)\office_2010std.dat System error code: 131

I thinapped Office 2010 with ThinApp version 5/6, under XP / Win 7, but the result was everytime the same. I'm suspecting that the .dat file is way to big for the installation. Could this be true? If yes, what can I do? Compression is already turned on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes,

Stephan Berger

0 Kudos
21 Replies
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This might just be my headache talking, but maybe you can use Applink to work around the problem?

-Capture the Office installation, but don't build the project yet ("main" project)

-create an empty project ("data" project)

-move files from the main project into the data project, until it looks like both will end up <2GB

-add the data project to the main project's RequiredApplinks
-build both

-remember to always deploy both of them

0 Kudos
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's a good idea, thanks for posting MarAndreas. However in this case that's not going to be worth it. Since it works as a full install rather than streaming, that's what we'll have to do. It's more of an MSI limitation than thinapp.

Kind of mind boggling, since the applications you'd most likely want to stream are large ones, since that's where you benefit from streaming rather than full install.

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos