VMware Horizon Community
jayjay77
Contributor
Contributor

IE8 ThinApp - Apply Microsoft Patch KB2847204

Hi,

recently MS released a security patch for IE8 (KB2847204). Customare asked me to apply this patch to the thinapped version of IE8, but I can't see any other way to apply the patch than recapture IE8 (or start from the snapshot I've catpured) applying the patch.

I've tried using sbmerge launching the patch from a CMD prompt builded with IE but I got lot of errors.

Any Idea?

tnks.

- Gianni Resti Sr. Consultant EMC Computer System
0 Kudos
2 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the update is an MSI you cannot apply the update to the running virtual environment. Windows Installer service runs outside the virtual bubble and therefore updating is not possible. If the update is not using Windows installer you should be able to capture the update into the sandbox and then run sbmerge.

One method sometimes possible is to run Setup Capture and capture only the update (in this case IE8 locally installed). Investigate the project folder and manually merge the changed files into existing project. But this is not really possible if the update changes much in the registry.

0 Kudos
jayjay77
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried the way you suggest, but the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.txt is a 478kb files with a lot of registry entry.

I've also tried to capture only the update and use as plugin with applinc of IE8 but it's generating some problems.

The only way is to recapture.

tnks,

- Gianni Resti Sr. Consultant EMC Computer System
0 Kudos