VMware Cloud Community
virtualG78
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Replication fails for any VM claiming 'no hosts to access destination datastore'

I have completed all steps for vSphere replication in SRM 5:  Deployed and Configured VRM Server on protected & recovery sites, successfully linked protected and recovered VRMs, deployed and registered VR server at the recovery site.

However, after selecting vSphere Replication for a VM, specifying a selectable recovery datastore, commiting the configuration returns the error:  "VR server localhost.localdom has no hosts through which to access destination datastore 'datastore2' ".

The same error is reported regardless of what datastore I specify on the recovery site.  The VR server and datastores all reside on one ESXi 5.0 host at the recovery site.

Am I missing a configuration step that links the VR server to datastores on the ESXi hosts?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualG78
Contributor
Contributor

This problem occurred because the ESXi host I was using was in evaluation mode while I setup vSphere replication and VRM databases and servers.  Even though a vCPU license was applied to the ESXi host after vSphere replication was setup, this change was not updated in vSphere replication.  I needed to remove and re-add the VR and VRM databases and servers for vSphere replication to detect the licensed ESXi server.

So two issues here:

1.  vSphere replication will NOT work with ESXi servers if they are in evaluation mode.  These servers will simply be ignored without reporting appropriate licensing errors.

2.  ESXi servers must have vCPU licenses applied to them before vSphere Replication is setup as licensing changes are not detected after VRM servers are running.

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

vSphere Replication should work with ESXi hosts in evaluation mode.

VRMS monitors all hosts in the inventory of its parent vCenter Server and passes the IP addresses of these hosts to VR server.

From your previous message, it looks like VRMS failed to add for some reason the hosts to the VR server.

vSphere Replication support bundle would be helpful to identify the issue.

Is there an SR with support bundles from when the issue happened ?

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos