Contributor
Contributor

SRM is based on how to determine that the site is no longer available

SRM is based on how to determine that the site is no longer available

8 Replies
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm not sure I understand - are you asking how SRM determines that a site is no longer available?

Best regards

Stefan Tsonev

Director - VMware Site Recovery Manager
0 Kudos
RedouaneBALI
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

SRM server maintains connection to its peer SRM server and vCenter at all times. If this connection is lost, the other site is considered "down".

It's rather important to understand that SRM will not take any recovery action automatically. It still requires an external actor to initiate the recovery process (i.e. a user through the UI or an external program through the public API).

The impact of losing connectivity to the other site is that certain operation become unavailable, such as most configuration changes, but most notably planned migration functionality.

Best regards

Stefan

Director - VMware Site Recovery Manager
cjscol
Expert
Expert

SRM does not determine that the protected site is unavailable.

The decision to run the recovery plans is a manual process.

When you run the recovery plans you have the option (if you have enabled it) to only run tasks at the recovery site, otherwise it will attempt to shutdown the virtual machines at the protected site and replicate the storage to the recovery site so that you have the latest data there before bringing the virtual machines online at the recovery site.

You have two options when you run the recovery plans, you can perform a planned migration or a disaster recovery.  If you run in disaster recovery mode then the recovery plan will continue even if it cannot connect to the primary site to power down the virtual machines and replicate the data.  If you perform a planned migration then the recovery plan will halt if it is unable to connect to the primary site to power down the virtual machines and replicate the data.

Calvin Scoltock VCP 2.5, 3.5, 4, 5 & 6 VCAP5-DCD VCAP5-DCA http://pelicanohintsandtips.wordpress.com/blog LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cscoltock
RedouaneBALI
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RedouaneBALI
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As ha been mentioned SRM doesn't automatically take action in response to one of the sites going down. SRM does provide various events that you can configure alarms for to be notified of various site status events such as the sites not being able to see each other anymore. Check out the Administration guide on Site Status Events for more details.

0 Kudos
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can automate this if you use a witness server. This means you will have a setup that says "if i can see the witness server, then i am authoritative, if not then I am disconnected".

Use of witness servers on a 3rd location enables you to trigger automated responses without compromizing integrity of your datacenters.