VMware Cloud Community
JLFG
Contributor
Contributor

SRM 5.0 "You are unable to connect to site recovery manager"

Hi Everyone,

I am having a headache installing SRM 5.0 in our environment. I don’t know what I am doing wrong so, I need help from the community.

First, my scenario is two sites with 3 hosts each; I am running ESXi 5.0, vCenter 5.0 and SRM 5.0. I followed best practices for SRM so, I created two VMs for each site (VMware doesn’t recommend to install SRM in vCenter VM).

In one site, I have: VC1, SRM1 (Local SQL 2008 R2 Express). I am able to ping from VC1 to SRM1 and vice versa; I disabled host firewall to avoid any block port. I disabled Share Memory from SQL Server Network Configuration and I enabled TCP/IP in SQL 2008.

DR Site, I have, VC2, SRM2 (Local SQL 2008 R2 Express). ). I am able to ping from VC1 to SRM1 and vice versa; I disabled host firewall to avoid any block port. I disabled Share Memory from SQL Server Network Configuration and I enabled TCP/IP in SQL 2008.

I assigned me Administrator rights in VC, in SRM database, but I am still getting the same error. I tried using Windows authentication (SQL) and mixed mode and I am receiving the same error.

I tried Default SQL instance and named instance and I got the same error.

The error that I am getting in both sites is: You are unable to connect to site recovery manager at: https://<IP>:8095/dr when using vCenter Site Recovery Manager and you receive the error: Permission to perform this operation was denied (Error attached)

I didn’t find any logs to get more details on this error. It is suppose to create logs in C:\ProgramData\VMware\Site Recovery Manager, but I don’t have anything.

Any recommendation and/or suggestion will be really appreciated. I followed instructions from VMware, but they weren’t really helpful.

Are you guys installing SRM in your vCenter VM? Or are you using the same VM?

Anyone experienced this error before? Any solution?

Thanks in advance!

Pepe

Pepe F. VCP
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JLFG
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to mention that i am not using vmware replication. I will use my storage array replication, so during the set up, i am not installing vmware replication.

thanks

Pepe F. VCP
0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Did installation process complete successfully?

Have you restarted both SRM servers after the installation?

Is SRM service currently running?

Michael.

0 Kudos
JLFG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Michael,

Did installation process complete successfully? Yes, I didnt have any problem with the installation. Actually, i had a problem with SQL, but I gave me full access to SQL databases and that fixed the problem with the installation. I uninstalled everything and installed back again and i got the same permissions error. I ran wireshark and i know the port is open because i got the communication between ports and i found the communication problem between vcenter and SRM.

Have you restarted both SRM servers after the installation? Yes, i did.

Is SRM service currently running? SRM service was is running as well fine (No errors). Do i have to run SRM service with special permissions in vcenter? in SRM? Because i am running SRM service with my credentials (for testing) and i have Administrator permissions in vCenter; I have Administrator rights on SRM server. I dont know what am I missing.

Thanks!

Pepe F. VCP
0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

What do you mean by "The service was running"?

Have SRM ever worked or you got the error right  after the installation?

Is the service running now on both SRM servers?

Michael.

0 Kudos
JLFG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Michael,

thanks for reply.

What do you mean by "The service was running"? The service is running fine. (i update my comment above)

Have SRM ever worked or you got the error right after the installation? I havent been able to make SRM to work.

Is the service running now on both SRM servers? The service is running in both servers.

Michael, Did you install SRM in a different box of your vcenter?

Pepe F. VCP
0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

You can install SRM on vCenter server or on separate server, both options should work.

Do you have a firewall between vCenter and SRM servers? Between two vCenter servers?

Is Windows firewall enabled on SRM servers? If yes disable it (all the three profiles) and restart the servers.

Which machine are you trying to open the vSphere client from? Have you tried a different machine?

Does user account SRM service is running under has Administator rights on SRM server?

Make sure you are using 32-bit DSN for SRM DB. Run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. It should be listed under System DSN tab and be of SQL Native Client type.

Michael.

0 Kudos
JLFG
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have a firewall between vCenter and SRM servers? Between two vCenter servers? No firewalls between the 2 SRM servers.

Is Windows firewall enabled on SRM servers? If yes disable it (all the three profiles) and restart the servers. Firewalls are disables in SRM servers and vsphere servers as well for testing purposes.

Which machine are you trying to open the vSphere client from? Have you tried a different machine? I created two servers (SRM1 and SRM2) and i installed local SQL in both servers. I tried to connect from vcenter1 and vcenter2 and i received the same error. I am using a different database for vcenter and SRM, but it is part of best practices so, i dont think thats the problem. I will check the DNS and i let you know the outcome.

Does user account SRM service is running under has Administator rights on SRM server? Yes, i double check this one and it is running as server administrator and i added this specific account as Administrator in vcenter and i got the same results.

I will check DNS32 bits and i'll ket you know the outcome.

thanks for your comments Michael!

Pepe F. VCP
0 Kudos