VMware Cloud Community
gtlscot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best SRM Configuration

Hi

In our organisation we have 2 datacentres configured as active/active. Each site has a separate vSphere virtual centre and cluster. All VMs are replicated using EMC RecoverPoint.

At present we are installing and configuring SRM. We have completed the configuration from our datacentre 2 (protected) to datacentre 1 (recovery). In summary this then comprises of an SRM server in each location with databases hosted in each site.

We would appreciate if there is advice available on what configuration we should use for SRM between datacentre 1 (protected) to datacentre 2 (recovery) or do we repeat what we have set-up for the first site with another 2 SRM servers and databases.

Many Thanks

Graeme

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can use the same servers, you dont need to create another 2

dougie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, you are right, it is the same process. You configure Inventory Mappings and create Protection Groups at datacentre 1 (protected), then you create Recovery Plans at datacentre 2 (recovery).

Your recovered VMs will be powered on in the same cluster as your active VMs or do you have separate cluster for the DR on each site?

0 Kudos
gtlscot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. Can I use the same servers that I have installed or do I need another 2 SRM servers with their own associated databases at each site. Documentation is quite unclear.

0 Kudos
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can use the same servers, you dont need to create another 2

dougie

0 Kudos
gtlscot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi excuse my ignorance and before I go and break my existing set-up should I create 2 new DBs one at each site on the existing DB servers?

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

No, you don't need to do that.

Single SRM instance with one database is required at each site. The same site can be "Protected" and 'Recovery" simultaneously.

The active / active SRM setup (sometimes called bi-directional also) is fully supported. Don't worry.

0 Kudos