VMware Horizon Community
LeoBink
Contributor
Contributor

very large scale deployment

Hi community,

We are currently expanding our existing vmware view implementation and beeig it up to 1500 concurrent users.

All desktops are the same. No clear distinction can be made between types of users.

The nature of the workload on the VDI's forces us to use a 1:3 virtualization ration (1 core serves only three VDI's).

Our serves are dual 6-core intels.

This means, with the 8 host restriction for view esx clusters, that my pool (1500 vm's) is far larger than one clister can hold.

So I have to create multiple pools.

I know I can give every pool the same display name, but still only the first pool is choosen.

Does anybody know how to load balance between pools? The documentatin neatly caps a pool's size to fit into one cluster. Even the Large scale Enterprise Reference Architecture.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Leo

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

multiple pool is the way to go, when you are doing the entitlement of the user towards the pool, just do a 1 user : 1 pool instead of 1 users : few pools. this ensure that when they log in, they only have a single pool to select.

LeoBink
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Idle-Jam,

We thiught of that as well. It would be a very feasable solution for normal office workers.

Fact being that this deployment is for a hospital with shifts. The shifts are not "static".

It is therefore very hard to divide pools between users as the users themselves are a moving target....

Leo

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

these 1500 users are there one persistent or non persistent pool?

0 Kudos
LeoBink
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

1500 projected concurrent users, thousands of named acconts.

All desktop are non-persistant.

The only distnction is that we also have functional accounts who should make up 500 or so concurrent sessions. They are allowed multiple logons.

That leases me with 1000 concurrent session, devided accross 4 clusters with no clear destinction between the users.

Of course I could make a separation based on alphabet. But that is not very smart Smiley Happy.

Thanks....

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i agree, separation by alphabet would be crazy. i guess creating multiple pool is the only way to go. maybe naming your pool by time? say Pool A - 10AM, Pool A- 11AM. User would choose the specific pool depending of the time of their logon.

0 Kudos