VMware Horizon Community
airswimmmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Direct connection to desktop" and external clients

Hi all,

I am doing a View 4 u1 setup with one connection server and one security server. just wanna confirm with this setting in View Administrator, "Direct Connection to desktop" check box.

I find that if I check it, then external clients from internet do not work - can see the desktop pools, but when launching, the View client will show up in task bar then disappear. when I uncheck it, external clients all work fine.

my understand is that check box determines whether the RDP traffic will be tunnelled by Connection Server or it will go straigh from view clients to desktops. I though this setting only affects internal clients. I can't see how it's affecting external clients connecting via security server.

when watching "netstat" from the external clients, when trying to launch desktop, I can see the below line showing up, when the View client disappears, this will also disappear. Looks like when the box is check (direct connection), the external view client is trying to establish RDP direct to the desktops, apparently this will not work. So how do I allow direct connection for internal clients only??

TCP 192.168.20.2:56473 winxp-04:ms-wbt-server SYN_SENT

any ideas?

thanks

Ming

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In our environment we have our external users (security server) use one broker that has direct connect disabled while the internal users utilize a different set of brokers that are set to utilize direct connect.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In our environment we have our external users (security server) use one broker that has direct connect disabled while the internal users utilize a different set of brokers that are set to utilize direct connect.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
YestoVI
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Security server and Connection server are working in a pair. So if you are using the pair for external users you need to uncheck direct connect.