VMware Horizon Community
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

a VM machine got stuck

Hi,

In a linked clone pool a maching is stuck. I cannot refresh or delete the machine from the View Console. I cannot even power off the machine in Vsphere. The Power off error is "Another task is already in progress"

I guess View tries to remedy the VM too. How can I stop the View task for this machine or pool so that I can power off the VM in Vsphere and delete it from disk. I guess after I have deleted the VM, View Composer will auto create it again.

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Sounds like you ran into this:  http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2073390

If so you'll most likely have to reboot your ESXi host(s) to fix the stuck desktop.  I was never able to get them to shutdown even forcefully using the "esxcli vm process kill" command.

0 Kudos
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I could only resolve it with restarting the host. There was another problem too. I have found out after restarting the Vcenter which is a VM on the host in question that suddenly the host and all its associated VMs were disconnected in the Vcenter. Strange was that I couldn't ping the host from the Vcenter server, but I was able to ping the host from other machines on the network.

A host reboot resolved it. I'm not sure, but I think that it is not the first time where I suddenly couldn't ping a ESXi host within Vcenter. We are using ESXi 5.5.

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The "Another task is already in progress" message you saw may because previous task has not been completed yet. It can be stuck on ESXi side.

Try this VMware KB: Powering off a virtual machine on an ESXi host

Henky

0 Kudos