VMware Horizon Community
PRobertson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Connection Manager cannot connect to vCenter following upgrade to vCenter 5.0

Our upgrade to vCenter Server 5.0 went smoothly and our environment is being transitioned to ESXi 5.0.   However, since the upgrade our View environment does not appear to be connected to vCenter.  If I go into View Administrator > Configuration > Servers and edit the entry for our vCenter server I receive a connection failed message when clicking 'OK'

I have verified that the username and password specified in View Administrator for connection to vCenter are correct.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mclark
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

View 4.6 and earlier is not supported and won't work with vSphere 5 (Look at the VMware Compatability Matrix). I got bitten by this before so I checked that before even thinking about updating to ESXi 5. You'll have to wait for View 5.0 for compatability with ESXi 5.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

You already try disable firewall of vcenter to test ?

If possible, put here logs about connection server.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
PRobertson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried with the firewall disabled and it makes no difference.

The logs are filling up with the following error:

09:57:43,299 INFO  <PendingOperation-vm-4786> [Audit] VC_OUTAGE:Url:https://vcenter:443/sdk
09:57:43,299 WARN  <PendingOperation-vm-4786> [ServiceConnection25] VirtualCenter https://vcenter:443/sdk is currently unavailable - attempting to reconnect

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The firewall is no problem... Smiley Wink

May you need try putting IP address of VC when you try connect. Or you can check  if all servers (vcenter, and connection server) it´s ok in DNS with FQDN.

Check http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide/sim/interop_matrix.php

if you using vmware view 4.6, this isnt supported with vcenter 5.0

PlatformVMware View 4.6VMware View 4.5
VMware vCenter Server 5.0
VMware vCenter Server 4.1 U1compatible
VMware vCenter Server 4.1compatiblecompatible
VMware vCenter Server 4.0 U3
VMware vCenter Server 4.0 U2compatiblecompatible
VMware vCenter Server 4.0 U1
VMware vCenter Server 4.0
VMware vCenter Server 2.5 U6compatiblecompatible
*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
mclark
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

View 4.6 and earlier is not supported and won't work with vSphere 5 (Look at the VMware Compatability Matrix). I got bitten by this before so I checked that before even thinking about updating to ESXi 5. You'll have to wait for View 5.0 for compatability with ESXi 5.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

View 5.0 will be supported by vSphere 5.0/ vCenter 5.0 Smiley Wink

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

PRobertson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for pointing that out.   Unfortunately I didn't notice that I was looking at the 4.1 compatibility document.  The document linked from the home page of the vSphere support portal on vmware.com is still 4.1.  I had to dig down to find the 5.0 version.

Anyone know when View 5 is slated for release... or how to rollback vCenter to 4.1?

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The "rollback" I had to do (back when vSphere 4 came out) was to re-install all the vSphere 4 components that I had updated (vCenter and ESXi). If you are fortunate and have only updated vCenter to 5 and the ESX servers are still at 4.1, then just re-installing vCenter 4.1 should be all it takes. You may have to reinstall the View Composer pieces on vCenter.

No one is telling when View 5 is going to come out that I know of, but personally I am hoping it is announced at VMWorld this week.

0 Kudos
zik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am very frustrated that I have to go through this again.  When will VMware start releasing vSphere upgrades with support for the previous API, or releasing compatible View upgrades at the same time?

I won't take virtual desktop seriously until you treat it like a tier-1 application.

0 Kudos