VMware Horizon Community
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VSphere upgrade wiped firewall settings for Horizon SQL port?

Hi all,

Horizon 6.1 running with no problems.

vSphere 5~ on 2008 R2 box with composer and SQLExpress.

Problem after upgrading vSphere to 5.5, following instructions.

Upgrades completed on server, but View Administrator says there are problems connecting to the Events DB.

If I try remote connecting directly to the DB using SQL Managemernt Studio, I also get a "network problem".

If I connect using SQL Management Studio locally from the server, then it's all fine. Sounds like firewall to me.

Added an exception in the firewall for 1433 and - bingo, all is working again.

So, question:

What did the vSphere upgrade do to the firewall exceptions? I can't recall making a manual exception for 1433 previously (and if I did, I can't imagine that a vSphere upgrade would remove it). Should re-installing composer after the upgrade resolve the issue? I'm happy to leave my exception in the firewall, but would prefer to know why it stopped working, and if I should be doing something else to make the "automatic" exception come back (along with other settings that have potentially disappeared).

Any advice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Quick bump.

If nobody is sure on this, can anyone remind me how port 1433 would have normally been accessible from the standard install? Should the View installation put in a firewall entry automatically?

0 Kudos