VMware Horizon Community
DrOctane
Contributor
Contributor

VMware View Documentation.

I recently built a new VDI environment to replace our existing ESX 4.1.0/vCenter Server 4.1.0/VMware View 4.5/Composer 2.5.0. Our new (side by side replacement) is ESXi 5.0.0/vCenter Server 5.1.0/VMware View 5.1.2/Coomposer 3.0.0 . I am having a issue in my new production environment (checkpoint.vmdk size and growth) and before I post a question, I like to review all my documentation. The problem that I'm initially having, is an issue finding the proper documentation on View/Composer that explains the newer checkpoint.vmdk, how it intergrates with the linked-clone operations and differences from the old vdm-initial-checkpoint. Any info or a link guiding me to this documentation would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware Knowledge Base to VMware View™ (with View Manager)

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure of any specific documentation but I thought it was there to create a faster method of refreshing a clone. 

0 Kudos
DrOctane
Contributor
Contributor

I can not say its any faster, but I do like some of the other improvements in the UI for the View. I just refreshed a VM at lunch time and the checkpoint.vmdk went from 80MB to 1.393 GB in about 5 hours. I know our AV is updating but it does not keep many definitions locally. We do not have any other application or OS updates happening. Before I refreshed the VM, it was in production for about 2 months and the checkpoint.vmdk was 4.3 GB. You can see how this can scare a SAN manager over time Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
BradleyDunn
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever track down what was causing the checkpoint.vmdk growth? I'm running into a similar issue where within hours of a linked-clone pool being created the checkpoint.vmdks are growing to over 5 GB without even logging into the desktops.

0 Kudos