VMware Horizon Community
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMtools Version 8.3.7 build 341836

After appyling Esxi 4.1 Update 1 and updating the VMtools on my Win7 desktop I can no longer connect via PCoIP, I can only connect to my VM via RDP.

Again, an update to VMtools has broken my PCoIP connection.  Does anybody have a work around other than re-installing the 4.1 VMtools?

Thanks, Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brumer020111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Simply brilliant!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
brumer020111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you update the VMTools you have to reinstall the VMAgent on the VM Desktop too.

0 Kudos
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Since when?  That means when you update 1,000 VM's with new tools you have to install the same version of View Agent again on 1,000 desktops?

We've never had to do that before.  Doesn't sound correct.

0 Kudos
brumer020111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure that is a requirement. Id try it on one of your VMs and see if it fixes your problem. If it does fix it, you can always reinstall silently across all your systems (pg 49 of the administration guide). If you don't have a software delivery tool, you can use psexec.

0 Kudos
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'll give it a try, but this is only happening on VM's connecting via PCoIP and not any of my RDP connections, so I've got to ask, how does your solution address this issue if it's not happening across the board?

0 Kudos
brumer020111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102283...

This might be what i was thinking of. Even if the versions don't line up, Id still give it a try.

0 Kudos
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link, but this has been working fine in ESXi 4.1 before Update1 was released yesterday.  If I can just get back the VMtools 4.1 prior to the update.  I just can't find the correct link/location for the VMtools folder.

0 Kudos
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Opened a case with VMware and you are correct about re-installing/repairing the View Agent.  After doing that the Win7VM started working again.

VMtools update replaces the VGA driver and Win7 using PCoIP wants the View Agent VGA driver, so you have to re-install/repair the View Agent.

Seems like the VMtools update could check for the View Agent and not replace the VGA driver, but that would require two development groups talking to each other.  I know, right! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
brumer020111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Glad to hear you got it working.

0 Kudos
jkghfjkasdhfjka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The VMware Client needs to be installed after the VMware Tools. When you upgrade the tools on a View desktop the sequence is broken. To upgrade tools please upgrade tools on the Master VM, uninstall and then install the VMware View Agent (the same version will do). Shutdown and take a new snapshot. Recompose persistant or dedicated pools. Recreate floating pools. For individual pools the agent can be uninstalled and reinstalled on the Pool Desktop directly.

0 Kudos
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Isn't that what was just said??? Oh, and it's the View Agent not Client that needs to be installed after the VMtools update.

0 Kudos
brumer020111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Simply brilliant!

0 Kudos