VMware Horizon Community
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

USB support with PCoIP zero client

Hi,

I've bought a Wyse P20 PCoIP zero client (and flashed it with the latest firmware) to trial a large View deployment.

USB redirection is working for mass-storage devices, but I can't get it to do anything with audio devices or (as a test) a bluetooth adapter.

I'm not sure if this is a Wyse issue (the docs say that any usb device is supported) or a View problem.

One of the audio devices (a transcription headset) works with the View Client on a PC, but the associated Philips speechmic doesn't work with either (although the mouse element of it works with the View Client).

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Iain

0 Kudos
23 Replies
rogard
Expert
Expert

You may want to try a different sound card within the vmx configuration of the Gold snapshot

0 Kudos
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

Although sound support is my goal, the problem is more general than that.

Some USB devices (so far anything that's not mass-storage or a human-interface device) just isn't detected by the guest OS. Nothing appears in the system tray to suggest anything's been plugged in, nothing changes is device manager.

The only indication that anything's happened is that the 'attached devices' listing within the teradichi on-board diagnostics web page changes to 'connected', which means "Device detected and authorized in a PCoIP session".

Cheers,

Iain

0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert

Are there any USB configuration options within the bios of the thin client?

0 Kudos
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

There are a few about what devices are allowed and blocked, by type and IDs.

Everything's permitted though, and if I do block one it is displayed on the screen as being blocked.

Can't see much else to be honest...

0 Kudos
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

(sorry - duplicate post)

0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert

If you extract the gold snapshot to vmware workstation does it recognise the usb devices?

0 Kudos
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

It works ok with a workstation VM. I'm just hauling the golden VM across from the datacenter, and will try that asap.

0 Kudos
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

Works fine running the VM in VMware Workstation...

I'm stumped!

0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert

Ok well thats good news.

What about vmware view client on a windows xp host OS?

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also interested in the answer to this. I've ran into some usb mice not working, but other usb mice work fine. (both being MS mice).

Also, have issues with mouse/keyboard wireless devices using the wyse p20. Though, our other hp thin clients (not using pcoip) work just fine using wireless.

0 Kudos
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

3 out of the 4 things I'm testing work with the latest View client (flash disk, bluetooth adapter, usb headphones).

The 4th (the Philips SpeechMike) doesn't even appear as an option under 'connect usb device'...

0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert

In that case seeing as we have ruled out the Gold Snapshot and the VMware view, I would probabaly blame the Wyse box.

Have you looked for any updates to the firmware?

0 Kudos
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, latest firmware is on it.

I'm trying to get hold of / find a list of supported devices which is supposed to exist... No luck yet though!

Thanks,

Iain

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

Would be nice to get a hold of a HCL for that p20.

0 Kudos
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

I spoke to Wyse, but they couldn't offer much in the way of help, other than say compatability would improve with each firmware release.

0 Kudos
tyeo
Contributor
Contributor

any one have solution or tools create WinPE on USB? (with Win7)

/Thanks

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

No, but there are many solutions out there on google/bing.

0 Kudos
LabMonkey
Contributor
Contributor

Was anyone able to find a solution to this one?

We have tried with a speechmike II Pro and Speechmike Classic Pro on an Igel UDC (linux Base) an Igel thin client and also a windows XP client with the VMware View client installed, and haven't yet been able to get them to work. All devices are up to da

It seems as though the View Client is not passing through all USB devices, or at least not identifying them correctly if it does. We can get audio working on the speechmike, but playback only, we are also able to get mouse control using the speechmike, but not the Recording and Button control functions.

We are trying to get Digital Dictation software working for a pilot for a 75 workstation rollout. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
plizken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hej

Är på semester åter 2010-07-19

Med vänlig hälsning

Thomas Sjöholm

0 Kudos