VMware Horizon Community
BDigital2000
Contributor
Contributor

Thin Client Processing Power

I recently test ran a Wyse V10L thin client with VDM and it worked out quite nice. The one test I forgot was to find out if when loading a virtual desktop onto the thin client, which does the processing power, the server still or the thin client? I tested the web access of VDM with Super Pi and it used the server's memory and cpu, and not the fat clients. If the desktops use processing power from the server even with thin clients then what is the point of getting an ultra high end thin client? It seems like a waste to have a 1 GHz cpu and 1GB of ram, only to use it to process I/O data to and from a server.

Are all thin clients like this? We don't have a huge setup because of the costs right now. It's going to be 4 ESX servers, and a lefthand San. We don't have the budget for a rack of blades and a pile of VM licenses to not worry about running everything from the server side.

Thanks for all comments.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Rodos
Expert
Expert

The processing is done at the server for the desktop. However there are a few edge cases. If you are using any of the TCX extensions such as the multimedia the actual client will be decoding and playing the video stream, so in this case "some" processing does occur on the client. Also USB redirection will require a small amount of local processing.

You are correct, you don't need a high end client. However to do want to ensure that there is enough resource to do whats required today and into the future. Remember the lifetime of a terminal is going to be longer hopefully that a PC and you want to be sure it can take the latest firmware for a while.

Hope that helps.

Rod

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

as Rodos said, TCX is one scenario. another case is when user need some local applications, e.g. media player, or web browser like IE. this can improve processing speed when installed in local drive, also you can use these application in remote server.

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert

The V10L runs Wyse Thin OS so you can't add apps to the thin client like you can with other models which run an embeded OS such as XPe.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rodos,

I just tracked you down and wanted to ask you the following... I saw your post elsewhere which I responded to and hope u can help me.... if you know.

Hope you can still help me. I am looking through the post and looking for information on how to set these three up. I have called Wyse and they are more confusing, and as you can see i am here trying to look for answers.

Basically I have the following:

VC U2 running on a w2k3 server-

We have 7 iscsi hosts running 3.5 u2 as well (patched of course)

we have the Wyse Licenses for the TCX products...

I need to know what and where should I install the products, do they need to be installed on the VC server or do these products need to be installed on each VM??? Any help will be VERY appreciated. Oh and the wyse terminals are V10L...

Thanks in advance.. Edit

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert

Answered previous post in original thread. Rodos

0 Kudos