VMware Horizon Community
Hernan_Gutmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDM in a Virtual Mchine

Hi folks,

anyone has installed the VDM in a Virtual Machine ? I saw the docs that allow us to do that, but i would like to know if you have had good experience with that !

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We are running our VDM connection broker and our Security server in a VM. We haven't haven't had any problem but we are also still in testing phase with the max concurrent users being about 25.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We are running our VDM connection broker and our Security server in a VM. We haven't haven't had any problem but we are also still in testing phase with the max concurrent users being about 25.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You should not have any dificulty, it is supported by VMware and is probably more stable than on a Physical box Smiley Wink

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...we are running 4 VDM servers, connecting to 3 VCMS instances, as VM's each with 2 Pools of 750+ VM's.

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Troy, if you don't mind me asking are you doing direct connec to desktop or no direct connect. If your tunneling through the connection broker how many concurrent sessions do you avg per broker and finally what kind of resource allocation did you use for the connection brokers. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

we use direct connect, just because using tunneling VDM 2.1 has only been tested at 1000 concurrent connections. I believe with direct connect you can get 5 times the amount since it's only a handoff.

I've heard that 3.0 will support much much more in tunnelling mode.

Our VDM brokers are 2vCPU 3072MB RAM W2K3 Standard. We actually use 5 VDM Server, but one is just for administration, we don't pass connections through it.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

one other thing to add.. As each VDM Server is a replica of each other, the total amount of vPC's (+/-2800) is spread out accross the 3 VCMS instances. Each VM is deployed off the same XP template and have 1vCPU and 1024MB RAM with an 8GB HDD.

Lot's of storage!!!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is great information. Thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos
Hernan_Gutmer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great info guys, i will start the installation tomorrow. Smiley Happy

Thank you for sharing !

0 Kudos