VMware Horizon Community
HungryMind1200
Contributor
Contributor

SSL Certificate request for view connection server

Hey guys,

Pardon my ignorance here, but when I generate a certificate request for my view connection server (view5), do indicate the internal FQDN of the view connection server (which is my internal domain fqdn), or the external FQDN that a user will access from the outside for remote access? I've done this a few times for view 4.x, and I can't remember for the life of me how I generated the cert. I guess I need to take better notes.

I would presume that I would indicate the external FQDN that is reachable from the internet, and not the internal FQDN of the server, but I am a little confused about this. The external FQDN points to our security server, not our view connection server. If I remember correctly, I only imported the cert on the VCS, not the security server. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

HungryMind1200

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander

It should be the FQDN for the machine that the clients use when connecting directly to it (i.e. not those going through a security server). For external clients you will need to replace the certificate on your security server with the external FQDN, for internal clients going to the connection server directly you will need to replace the certificate on your connection server with the internal FQDN of the CS.

Mike

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Our View 5.0 documentation had very good guidance on how to generate and import CA signed certificates. The section starting on page 75 of this guide will walk you through all necessary steps depending on your situation:

http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/view-50-installation.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions.

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos