VMware Horizon Community
clamorte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maximum # of Connection Brokers??

I have run into some odd provisioning issues in our View 4.0.1 environment. After spending quite a bit of time testing and working with support it appears we have too many connection brokers and the issue seems to be tied to ADAM replication issues.

My question is where if anywhere is there a documented limit to the # of connection brokers you can have in a single View setup? I spent some time looking through the install guide and a couple of other documents for view. They list several maximum values but I did not see any specific maximum # for connection brokers. If anyone has seen this limit documented can you let me know the source?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

unless you can find something proving support wrong, I would take their advise and start reducing the amount of connection brokers. We a few VMware View environments, but our biggest which has 2800 vPC's connected to 3 vCenter instances only uses 3 brokers.

The problem is, if support is telling you to do something and you don't, you kind of push yourself into a corner. Reduce the amount of connection servers to what is advised and if problems persist, you have leverage to say to them, "now what".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the below is the closest you may come, but it doesn't have specifics.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view401_architecture_planning.pdf

Just curious, how many do you have? How many vCenters are they connecting to and how many VM's?

0 Kudos
clamorte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have 8 connection brokers that are all in the same view instance there is one vCenter server. We have about 200 persistent non composer based guest and a handful of composer based pools that all together usually have about 150 to 200 active desktops.

I know one connection broker can host hundreds of connections. When the system was put in place the reasoning for all the brokers was for redundancy. We have two physical location connected by a 1GB very low latency WAN link. There are two internal connection brokers at each location and two external brokers mapped to security servers.

Support is telling me that you should not exceed 5 brokers per ADAM database. Our problem never materialized until we starting user composer Non-persistent pools set to delete workstations after first use.

After a while provisioning errors prevent new guest from being created and deletion operations slow down or stop completely. Rebooting the effected connection broker fixes the problem but that is an ugly solution.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

unless you can find something proving support wrong, I would take their advise and start reducing the amount of connection brokers. We a few VMware View environments, but our biggest which has 2800 vPC's connected to 3 vCenter instances only uses 3 brokers.

The problem is, if support is telling you to do something and you don't, you kind of push yourself into a corner. Reduce the amount of connection servers to what is advised and if problems persist, you have leverage to say to them, "now what".

0 Kudos
clamorte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know the best choice is to make the change to be in compliance and see what happens but the questions will need to be answered "Why did we not know about this!". I inherited the setup that is currently in place. I have been managing it for about 4 months now but have read through most of the View documentation. It is a bit of a situation because we had health checks done and even engage with professional services to help rollout composer. To find out through the support team that you basically running in an unsupported configuration is obviously not a good place to be.

Since I have not come across an explicit documented maximum I was wondering if I was just not looking in the right place. I guess it is inferred by the stated maximum for a connection broker and the maximum for a single View pod.

0 Kudos
dquintana
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello Clar

All this conenction brokers you are using with the same domain ? and adam database?

Por favor no olvides calificar las respuestas que te resultaron de ayuda o fueron correctas.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Regards/Saludos

Ing. Diego Quintana

vExpert 2010 - VCP 410- VCP 310 - VAC - VTSP

My Linkedin Profile

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

!http://feeds.feedburner.com/WetcomGroup.1.gif!

Ing. Diego Quintana - VMware Communities Moderator - Co Founder & CEO at Wetcom Group - vEXPERT From 2010 to 2020- VCP, VSP, VTSP, VAC - Twitter: @daquintana - Blog: http://www.wetcom.com-blog & http://www.diegoquintana.net - Enjoy the vmware communities !!!