VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linked-Clone Refresh

Hello All,

I was looking through the admin guide for the answer but did not see it, unless I missed it. I have View 4.5 setup in a lab environment with a Linked-Clone Pool. I performed a Refresh on 1 vdesktop. The refresh completed sucessfully. However, after it was finished the VM was powered off. Is this normal behavior? I waited a good 10 minutes and it was still off, so I powered it on and everything worked as expected.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,
This is normal when you specify a number of Virtual Desktops in Spare, and that number is lower than the total number of Virtual Desktops on that pool.
The Spare Desktops stays as "Available" (Powered on).
The another Desktops stays as "Provisioned" (Powered Off).
You can avoid this behavior if you set the Power Policy as "Ensure desktops are always powered on"
Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you played around with any of the power options for the pool?  I have mine set to power off when not in use so it will not start up until a certain threshold has been met. 

pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,
This is normal when you specify a number of Virtual Desktops in Spare, and that number is lower than the total number of Virtual Desktops on that pool.
The Spare Desktops stays as "Available" (Powered on).
The another Desktops stays as "Provisioned" (Powered Off).
You can avoid this behavior if you set the Power Policy as "Ensure desktops are always powered on"
Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah pcerda, that is making sense. To clarify, this is a dedicated pool. I set the Max desktops to 10, spare to 1 and originally created one on demand. Once User1 logged into Desktop1 it automatically created Desktop2(as expected). I made some changes then refreshed Desktop1 which User1 was already assigned to. So once it completes Desktop2 is on, but Desktop 1 is off. What happens if User1 tries to login to a desktop? Does he get Desktop2 since Desktop1 is powered off? My thought was in dedicated pool, he should always get Desktop1.

****Update*****

I tested this in my lab, once User1 tries to login, Desktop1 is automatically powered on.

Thanks again

Message was edited by: VMMikeC

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is very much expected behaviour. Since this is a dedicated pool, User 1 will always get Desktop 1 and does not matter whether it is powered on or not. Please note that the 'spare value' is applicable only for unassigned desktops.