VMware Horizon Community
bharwood
Contributor
Contributor

Linked-Clone Pool Recomposing Issue

While recomposing my linked-clone pool in View Admin I get an error  in the vSphere Client for each clone.  After acknowledging each error  dialog box the recompose operation seems to finish up without any issues. I  can connect to the clones through a console, but not through the View  Client remotely. I have upgraded my View clients to v353760 and I am able to connect other pools in my View environment using the View Client.

The error reads as follows.

An internal error occurred in the vSphere Client
Details: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I'm unable to find any documentation directly related to this error and recomposing pools.  I did find this(KB Article: 1031166), but it isn't quite white I was looking for.

Does anyone have any information on this particular message as related to linked-clones in vSphere/View?

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bharwood
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:   The Error also occurs when shutting down the guest OS on the VM clone via a console.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Did you have this issue with the previous snapshot assigned to the pool?   Could be something correct in the new snapshot so you may want to revert back and redo the currecnt snapshot.

Also did you find anything extra in the composer logs that would give us something else to go by? 

0 Kudos
bharwood
Contributor
Contributor

I have reverted back to my original snapshot.  While recomposing I received the same error, but I'm now able to connect to the clones once again remotely via the View Client.  So, it seems I might have two issues going on.  One, something in the new snapshot keeping the client from logging in to the clone.  And two, my issue in vSphere with the  "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error.

Here is the summary included in the errorReport that I saved.  Don't know if this helps.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.PropertyOps.ImmediatePropertyValueByServerGivenName(Object propOwner, String propName)
   at VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.PropertyOps.SetValueByServerGivenPropertyName(Object propOwner, String propName, Object val, Boolean ignoreReadonliness)
   at VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.PropertyCollectorOps.ApplyChangeToPropertyOwner(PropertyPath pp, Object val, Object propOwner)
   at VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.PropertyCollectorOps.ApplyChangeToDataObject(PropertyPath pp, Object newValue, DataObject dao)
   at VpxClient.VMList.UpdateItem(ListViewItem item, Change change)
   at VpxClientCommon.ListViewData.UpdateItem(ManagedObject updatedMO, Change change)
   at VpxClientCommon.ListViewData.ProcessPartialModification(ManagedObject updatedObj, Change change)
   at VpxClientCommon.ListViewData.ProcessUpdate(ObjectUpdate update)
   at VpxClientCommon.ListViewData.OnUpdate(FilterUpdateArray fUpdates)
   at VpxClient.VMList.OnUpdate(FilterUpdateArray fUpdates)
   at VirtualInfrastructure.Updates.PollerDispatcherImpl.NotifyUpdates(Map`2 handler2Updates)

Best,

Brad

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

How about this, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002170.    So just for clarification the error is registered on vCenter and nothing in the View admin page?

0 Kudos
bharwood
Contributor
Contributor

Correct, the error is in vCenter only.  No notifications of any sort in View Admin.

I'll look into the KB you referenced.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
bharwood
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so here is my status.

Earlier I stated that I reverted back to an earlier snapshot and was able to login to the machine, but I was still experiencing the Error in my vSphere Client.   After stumbling upon and reading the discussion on issues with PCoIP connnections breaking after upgrading VMware Tools(KB:1022830), I decided to change my connection protocol to RDP and my issues connecting to the new recomposed pool with View Client were remedied.  Also, while recomposing the pool to get back to the snapshot I created with the updated VMware Tools installed I didn't experience the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error in vCenter.  Go figure.  After looking through my vCenter events, I noticed that VCenter upate manager checked for notifications since the last time I had recomposed the pool.

So, it seems that my only issue now is that I can't connect via my View Clients using PCoIP.

Brad

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal