VMware Horizon Community
Planor6
Contributor
Contributor

PCoIP on the iPad

Hypothetically speaking, if one had the build files for the vmware view client for the ipad, how would one compile it?  Purely hypothetical of course... wink

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

the view for ipad would be release together with the upcoming version. if you have the file somehow, all you need to do is double click and itune will install for you provided that it's being jailbroken. (i assume that if you have the file you are entitled to test/have it legally)

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Actually no PCoIP implementation. Could be possible? Maybe...

Note that a client (only RDP) already exist (see for Wyse PocketCloud).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Hypothetically speaking if one had the pre release client for the ipad then one should know how to compile it Smiley Happy  

0 Kudos
dquintana
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is a big question, based on the view for mac, it just only a implementation of the RDP client.

I think that it would be the same for the ios.

Diego Quintana

Ing. Diego Quintana - VMware Communities Moderator - Co Founder & CEO at Wetcom Group - vEXPERT From 2010 to 2020- VCP, VSP, VTSP, VAC - Twitter: @daquintana - Blog: http://www.wetcom.com-blog & http://www.diegoquintana.net - Enjoy the vmware communities !!!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Putting all hypothesis and theory aside. Unless you had the source code it would be very difficult.

Let's hypothetically say someone could not contain themselves Smiley Happy and they gave someone the client.

There are a few challenges -

1. The app has to be signed. In the case of ad-hoc mode your UDID has to be specifically added for it to install

- In the case of an enterprise signed app this is not the case, it will just work. I assume that is not your case or we would not be hypothetically speaking. It would be working. Smiley Happy

2. Signed or not signed - I jail broke my iPad

- Based on Apple's rules, an app builder is responsible to protect Apple's interests and rules. We do take it seriously ( Apple's rule is no app can be distributed outside your company until it is on the app store / approved by Apple etc. ) . All you really can do is put your best foot forward.

In this case, it is known and understood people generally get excited and caught in the moment and often do not take seriously the legal  implications it could have. What is the big deal right, no one will ever find out?

Signed or not signed, to put the best foot forward, an internal mechanism was put in place in the client so a device must be registered. If not registered and on our list the app will not run. Jail broke or not.

That's not to say it's impossible, just how much time do you want to put into it :)?

Hopefully, that helps.

WP

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The View Client of iPad is not RDP based. It si PCoIP based.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

when can we expect the official release?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately, I can not speak publicly about specific dates. I can say, it is very soon though.

WP

0 Kudos
RayUC
Contributor
Contributor

So would PCoIP be unavilable if connection outside the corporate network?  I take it Security servers would be the connection and PCoIP not utilized anymore or a VPN connection would need to be made?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Remote connections will be possible using a VPN or with upcoming security server which adds support for PCoIP

WP

0 Kudos
DDSoutheast
Contributor
Contributor

any word on an Android version?  there a lot of sweet Android tablets coming out.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Can't comment on the Android-version, but there is already the Wyse Pocketcloud you can use on your android device.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
DDSoutheast
Contributor
Contributor

okay, i've looked up some videos and reviews of the Wyse Pocketcloud app and i have a couple of questions:

1.  does it support bluetooth mouse and keyboard?  (android of course...i know the iPad doesnt have bluetooth mouse/keyboard support)

2.  dual monitor support? (motorola xoom android tablet has hdmi out)

3.  how is the lag over wifi? 

honestly i'm wanting to replace my work laptop with an android tablet, and I'm wondering if the Wyse Pocketcloud app would suffice until the View app comes out?

0 Kudos
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not everyone loves the iPad, me for instance don't get along with it, yes it is nice to have ...sometimes...but most of the times it is not useful (not for me and the kind of work I do) but the iphone on the other hand is very handy, use it alot for many reasons, and there has been very much talk about View for Ipad, but will it be  a multiapp, will it work on iPhone as well? can't see any reasons not to? (it should be up to me if I wanna use it on a small screen)

But haven't read anything so if you are aligable to answer please do...

i guess I am not alone...

0 Kudos