VMware Horizon Community
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon UAG wont connect to desktop on first try.

Recently we started running into issues of our remote workers having to connect twice to their VM when remote going through a gateway. User will get a gateway error message but then when they try a second time it connects.

Horizon Client Returns:
vdpconnect_gateway_error: the connection to the remote computer encountered a gateway error.

Horizon 2212 (8.8.0 build - 21073894)

Unified Access Gateway Appliance v22.12

Agents 8.8.0-21067308

I have had a ticket open for some time.. anyone else see this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How many UAG's do you have? are you using HA that's built into the UAG or front it with a load balancer?

If you have a load balancer, do you have persistence turn on?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No LB but we use a Public DNS traffic steering policy to flip DNS record if our primary GW is down to redirect traffic over our backup ISP.

We have a total of 2 GW and 2 Connect servers. However they are paired as a 1 to 1 match. IE GW01 is paired to CS01. We understand that users will have to reconnect remotely, as we only about 50 at any given time, if there is some sort of connectivity issue with the primary Gateway. I actually worked with VMware support on this setup and got their blessing. So the GW have no HA configurations on them.

The system had been working fantastic for years till we upgraded to 2212. We had the clients and agents running 8.5 or under for some time while the servers were running 2212. We finally upgraded to 8.8 and started having issues with the remote access. We pushed out 8.8 for the improve MS Teams Support.

The strange part is that it only fails on the first try.... after that... no issues. Almost like DNS is failing to resolve or something.

0 Kudos