VMware Horizon Community
Alovantous
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon 7 Scanner Redirection Performance

We are trying to use scanner redirection from a Windows 10 client to a Windows 10 Guest OS. The drivers for the scanner (Neat Receipts) are installed on the host (machine connecting from) but not on the guest VM. When I check the scanner redirection in the task bar the scanner is listed for both TWAIN, and WIA. It does not matter which connect type I use it takes 40 - 60 seconds before the scanner even starts to scan. Once the scan is done it does show the image quickly (5 seconds) but that initialization time is crazy. Also if I use TWAIN all I get is a black scan, with WIA it does work when my program picks it up. This computer is on the same local network as the horizon server and has a 1GB Cat6 connection back to the server so I don't see it being a performance issue.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How long does it take to scan on a local computer ?

In my case the first scan also took like a minute and next scan was in a moment.

When I tried to scan on local machine I figured out that it also takes 1 minute for the first scan because the lamp is warming up. I got message saying that lamp is worming up and progress bar. There was no such message inside VDI so it seemed that scanner just waits.

0 Kudos
Alovantous
Contributor
Contributor

It seems to be almost instant using it locally, and scans the image correctly. However when using it in view it is just scanning the image in as a black blob.

0 Kudos
chengs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For the black image issue with TWAIN scan, which software did you use? Could you please try XnView, and let me know the result?

If it also fails, providing DCT logs might be helpful.

0 Kudos