VMware Horizon Community
BAronson
Contributor
Contributor

Desktop pool without domain

Hello,

I am setting up an environment for a tradeshow booth.  The idea is that sales people can boot up a copy of a vm running a piece of our software to demo to potential customers.

These VM's are not on a network, and therefore are not needed to be a member of a domain.  Just simply a standalone VM.

My question is, when I get to the guest customization aspect of the setup, I am prompted for a domain.  I do not wish to use one at all. 

Is there a way to bypass the guest customization, or set it up so I don't have to use one, specifically to not join a domain.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Brandon

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander

Linked clone pools provisioned by Composer require a domain to be specified as part of the customization. The older full clone pools only require a vCenter Customization Specification to be used however, and it's not required to specify a domain as part of that. You can also set up your VMs by hand or an external tool and add them to a manual vCenter pool instead of provisioning them through View.

Note that if they are not joined to a trusting domain your users will need to authenticate twice when connecting - once to the connection server and a second time to the desktop VM itself with local credentials.

Mike

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Another idea is to use the Direct Connect plugin instead, that will also reduce the need for a connection broker, AD, DNS etc.

Maybe that does not fit your need and will be more manual steps so it is more suitable for a smaller setup like 10 vms or less.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos