VMware Communities
SteveWall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does the Tech Preview require a license?

I installed the 22H1 Tech Preview last month and have been testing a FreeBSD based product on ARM.  It's working pretty well, with an exception for "W^X" on M1 processors that is not a VMware issue.  I returned to work from a 2-week vacation this week to find Fusion warning me that my trial was about to expire, and I would need to purchase to continue.  However, the link it provided does not even mention the ARM version, let allow provide a way to purchase it.  I download and installed the 22H2 preview, but that did not help.  I though I had seen a message on the VMware blog saying the tech preview was free until a real product was released, but that does not seem to be the case.

What can I do at this point to continue with the tech preview?  Can I uninstall Fusion completely and reinstall to reset the timer, without losing my VM?  Will I need/be able to purchase a Player 12 license and install in it the tech preview?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No it does not. It comes with a bundled license that enables Fusion Pro functionality.

There's no need to use a Fusion Player 12 or Fusion Pro license. Completely uninstalling your existing Fusion Tech Preview per KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 will remove the existing license. It will not touch your VMs. You'll get the new Preview license automatically installed when you re-install the 22H2 Tech Preview.

It isn't a permanent license though, so I would plan on buying the next version of Fusion (VMware hints later this year, I'd watch at VMware's conference later this month to see if they announce anything). That should have Apple Silicon (M1/M2) support.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No it does not. It comes with a bundled license that enables Fusion Pro functionality.

There's no need to use a Fusion Player 12 or Fusion Pro license. Completely uninstalling your existing Fusion Tech Preview per KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 will remove the existing license. It will not touch your VMs. You'll get the new Preview license automatically installed when you re-install the 22H2 Tech Preview.

It isn't a permanent license though, so I would plan on buying the next version of Fusion (VMware hints later this year, I'd watch at VMware's conference later this month to see if they announce anything). That should have Apple Silicon (M1/M2) support.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
SteveWall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was also necessary to hit the "+" menu and "Scan" to restore the VM after reinstalling 22H2 and launching Fusion.  Was a bit painful using VNCViewer over a VPN to find and delete the files listed in the KB...

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I hear you on the pain of a manual installation. I've made an "ideas" request for a more robust un-installation process to avoid having to search and destroy the remnants that Fusion leaves behind.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos