VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

which logs can read for solve esxi problem

Dear all

Hi

last night my esxi host has ping but can not access that from vCenter and can not connect to my vms that are on  esxi host even connect from ILO and get remote console that was hang  finally restart esxi server now want to know how can understand what was that problem which logs can i read ?

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
5 Replies
fescaros
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is normally 3 sources of failure when you can still ping the server.

1) Storage issues, this causes hostd to become "hung" and unresponsive to any other requests, especially when you only have intermittent failures instead of a clean cut failure. As already mentioned /var/log/vmkernel.log is the one to look at.

2) vpxa failures as this is the agent which is responsible for the communication to vCenter. /var/log/vpxa.log

3) hostd failures unrelated to storage, vpxa needs proper hostd responses to communicate to vCenter, so if this agent fails your host would also show the described symptoms. /var/log/hostd.log

baber
Expert
Expert

i have attached vmkernel.log file but could not find what is the reason of esxi hung

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

What is the ESXi and vCenter server version/build number, if it was disconnected from vcenter server then number of cause , but it will be  according v Sphere version/build

Required hostd and vpxd logs for finding correct solution. (Date/Time) when it was disconnected.

Regard

Rajeev

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This log is post the reboot on the ESXi host. Cannot get much info from it as it is already rebooted.

0 Kudos